Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Neutral safety switch removal Forums > > Neutral safety switch removal Neutral safety switch removal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 06:27 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

Default Neutral safety switch removal

2000 nissan frontier v6 desert runner SE. I have removed the three bolts from my neutral safety switch and disconnected the shift cable from the bolt (don't know proper name) coming out of the transmission. My problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the metal lever that connects to both the switch and the aforementioned bolt. There appears to be a rivet or something on this metal arm (protrudes into plastic lever on NSS. Is that metal arm supposed to come off somehow? I've been using a small pry bar (gently) but it isn't coming out easily. I am unable to remove the NSS to replace it unless I can figure out how to separate the arm from the NSS.
Attached Thumbnails
Neutral safety switch removal-img_5999-jpg   Neutral safety switch removal-img_6004-jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but if you are trying to remove the lever from the NSS, then it's not supposed to come off. The adjustment procedure for the NSS (or, "PNP") is listed on page AT-265 in the factory service manual's "AT" section. I'm hoping the pictures can help you figure out what you're doing. Here's the link to the manual:

https://nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier/20...tier-VG/at.pdf
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 AM
2000 Frontier King Cab

I'm not referring to the plastic lever attached to the NSS, but the metal one with the pin protruding from it (and through the gap in the plastic lever on the NSS) that is in front of the NSS. As I'm looking at the transmission, you remove the nut from end of the shift cable connected to the bolt (don't know proper name) that is protruding from the transmission. You remove that nut, and then there is a metal bracket connected to the end of the cable (only fits one way onto that bolt. Then there is a long metal bar (lever? can be seen better if you zoom in on photo) with one end around the bolt (can't figure out if it slips off bolt or not) and the other end that has a pin protruding from it which runs through the plastic lever on the NSS. It's this long metal bar (NSS rests between this bar and the transmission) and the pin that is protruding into the NSS (it moves with the plastic lever on the NSS). The pin on the metal bar protrudes a good distance into the groove on the NSS which. It is that pin (looks like a rivet with a flat head on the side I can see) which is keeping me from removing the NSS. The three bolts on the NSS are out and it is moving around but won't clear the pin on that metal bar.
I see an image of the bar at the bottom of Page AT-265. It's the one the fingers are trying to insert the pin into to adjust the alignment. It's that bar that is keeping me from removing the NSS.

Last edited by utubemech; 08-05-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

In the FSM, refer page AT-271. The metal lever does not "come off," rather it is part of the "manual shaft." To replace the neutral safety switch, you have to drop the transmission pan and loosen the two nuts at the end of the shaft to slide the manual shaft out far enough to R&R the neutral safety switch.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

Thanks for the info. I will have to look for the two bolts you mention when I get the pan off. The three bolts in the diagram appear to be the three bolts that secure the NSS to the tranny. I'll give it a shot Saturday when I have time and get back to update.

Last edited by utubemech; 08-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by utubemech View Post
Thanks for the info. I will have to look for the two bolts you mention when I get the pan off. The three bolts in the diagram appear to be the three bolts that secure the NSS to the tranny. I'll give it a shot Saturday when I have time and get back to update.
Two "nuts" at the end of the shaft, not "bolts."
Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

I see the nuts you refer to now. Are they 25/32 or 20mm in size? I can't quite get a 3/4 box wrench around it to loosen it. Wanting to make sure I buy the correct size.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:48 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

I finally got it free (without loosening those nuts). Now I have to figure out how to get the wires free so I can pull the switch out. I don't imagine it's going to go up into the engine bay as there is no clearance. I'll have to figure out how to disconnect the cables at the top of the engine bay and pull them down below the car.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by utubemech View Post
I see the nuts you refer to now. Are they 25/32 or 20mm in size? I can't quite get a 3/4 box wrench around it to loosen it. Wanting to make sure I buy the correct size.
When money is Tight and with me,, it alway's is, when I need tool's I usually go to Harbor Freight or find what I need on EBay, or Both. Not all of my Tools are Harbor Freight,, but most of them are.

Are Harbor Freight Tool's the Best? No, but they sure beat not haveing the tool's to get the job's done.

When going to Harbor Freight Common Sense needs to be used and I usually don't buy the Cheapest Tools that Harbor Freight has. Year's ago,, I was alway's affraid to buy the tools that I need,, but when Harbor Freight came on the scene,, I'm not affraid to buy tools anymore.

A little off topic,, but it sounded like you need more tools for Service and Repair.

Good Luck,
Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

Thanks for info JRJoe
Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

OK. The only thing I have left to do is add transmission fluid (at least 5QTS) and I can test everything in the AM. I did find another helpful video that mentioned a PIN that is inbetween the shaft and the nuts you mentioned. I was never able to loosen the nuts as I was unable to loosen them with the 20MM box wrench I purchased. I was able to get it off and back on without removing the PIN or loosening the nuts though it was a little challenging. Here is a link for the video that mentions the pin. I was unable to remove the pin and that's why I didn't move the shaft at all. I did all my work from the ground with no jacks (I'm able to get under it and work that way). Maybe if it was raised higher, the pin could be removed easier.

YouTube

Replacing fluid in morning and will post final outcome. Thanks for advice to date.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

Success! Thanks for the help. One of these pictures shows the pin that someone said could be removed to pull the arm out some (vice the nuts). I was unable to get the pin out. It's in there pretty good. The other photo is of the nuts that were previously mentioned by smj999smj. These are 20MM nuts and there isn't a lot of room to work with them.Neutral safety switch removal-img_6013-2743-jpg

Neutral safety switch removal-img_6022-2744-jpg

Tags
neutral, removal, safety, switch