Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Squashy Brake Peddle 2010 Frontier CC Forums > > Squashy Brake Peddle 2010 Frontier CC Squashy Brake Peddle 2010 Frontier CC
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 PM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Default Squashy Brake Peddle 2010 Frontier CC

I am having a problem with my 2010 Frontier. Just replaced the MC, pads and all hoses. Rotors are good. Brake peddle feels squashy and when stopped will go to the floor. Peddle is firm when engine is off and vacuum boast is depleted. It's like the vacuum boast is too good. I had a 2004 Frontier and the brakes were outstanding. I would expect the same on this newer one. Truck has 102K miles on it. I purchased it with 90K. Is this normal for newer Frontiers.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, first of all, the Gen 2 Frontier brakes feel nothing like or as good as the Gen 1 brakes. Besides being a former Nissan tech, I have a 2003 Frontier and 2006 Pathfinder and the difference between the two is night and day. 2005 and later Nissan Frontiers, Xterras and R51 Pathfinders notoriously have what many describe as soft brakes or brake pedals that go to the floor. Combine that with brand new pads which take 100+ miles to fully break-in, that will worsen the matter. As far as the bleeding, make sure you bleed your brakes the proper way, as the bleeding procedure may not be what you are used to if you've bled brakes on older vehicles. On the 2010 Frontier, with the key off, unplug the ABS control unit (located on the actuator assembly) or disconnect the negative battery cable. Start bleeding at the right-rear, then to the left-front, then to the left-rear and then to the right-front. Do not the master cylinder fluid drop below halfway; top-off when necessary.
There are a couple of ways to improve the braking on these Frontiers. There is one company that has a master cylinder that is designed to improve the brake pedal feel, but I forget the company off the top of my head. It specializes in off-road products. Another way is to upgrade to V8 front brakes from a 2008-2012 V8 Pathfinder. This can be done on any R51 Pathfinder or 2005 Frontier/Xterra with the VQ40DE engine. The R51 Pathy V8 features 12.1" rotors, which are a one-inch improvement over the V6 front brakes. All you need is the front rotors, brake pads and front brake calipers w/ mounting brackets from a 2008-2012 Pathfinder w/ the V8. The master cylinder, caliper mount bolts and even the brakes hoses will all be the same, so it's a bolt-on upgrade. The only catch is that you must have at least 17" wheels; it will not work with 15 or 16-inch wheels.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Thanks for all that great information. I have been looking at videos regarding soft brake peddle on Nissan Frontiers. Dealers claim that it is normal. My next step is bleeding according to the manual which I have not done. If that does not improve things then I will just live with the soft peddle.
I am installing Volvo seats. Another pet peeve. Can't stand to ride for more than 30 minutes with out aching back. Can ride all day in my Volvo with no problem.
BTW is the Volvo in seat air bag compatible with the Nissan system?
Will lit you know how I make out.
Tom

Tags
brake, frontier, peddle, squashy