Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Frontier CD Player electrical issue Forums > > 2004 Frontier CD Player electrical issue 2004 Frontier CD Player electrical issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2004 Frontier CD Player electrical issue

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out. I brought my 04 Frontier in to the shop because the break light button beneath the dash needed to be replaced. When I got it back, the CD player (6 CD type) is dead. The radio works fine, but if I press the "CD" button or the "LOAD or "EJECT" buttons, there is no response from the player. It's as though there is no CD Player at all, nothing on the display or anything. Given that it was working fine, it seems like this may be some kind of electrical thing. I'm wondering if while working under the dash, A wire or plug may have been disturbed. Does anyone know if the CD player has it's own connection to the radio console below the dash? Is there anything else it might be? I really don't think it is broken. It just seems like an electrical issue.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola504 View Post
This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out. I brought my 04 Frontier in to the shop because the break light button beneath the dash needed to be replaced. When I got it back, the CD player (6 CD type) is dead. The radio works fine, but if I press the "CD" button or the "LOAD or "EJECT" buttons, there is no response from the player. It's as though there is no CD Player at all, nothing on the display or anything. Given that it was working fine, it seems like this may be some kind of electrical thing. I'm wondering if while working under the dash, A wire or plug may have been disturbed. Does anyone know if the CD player has it's own connection to the radio console below the dash? Is there anything else it might be? I really don't think it is broken. It just seems like an electrical issue.
Nola,

Well if it was working prior to taking into "The Shop", then most likely "They" did something to cause the CD Player not to Function Properly. If it was Nissan,, take it back to them so that they can Fix the problem. If it was a shop other than Nissan,, then if you trust them, take it back to them to fix it, or take it to Nissan to diagnose and fix the CD.

It may be something simple like makeing a connection, Blown Fuse, or something electrical blown in the CD, which "The Shop" that you took it to caused the problem.

Hope it's something simple and doesn't cost you too much,
Regards,
Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 PM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Just following up on this thread. I've learned that the CD Player has it's own fuse separate from the radio. I think it is possible that this may be my problem. Can anyone confirm if the CD Player has it's own fuse? Also, I read that this fuse was located inside the player itself and not on either of the fuse panels (under the dash or under the hood). Does anyone know the location of the fuse for the CD Player?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Most modern stereos have a switched positive 12 volt wire (typically red) and an "always-powered" 12 volt yellow wire for the clock and the station memory.

Yes, there could be a separate fuse for the CD part. Did you contact the shop that did the work for you??? Likely related to that.

My own 2004 single-disc CD player had a CD stuck in it when I bought it in 2011, would play that, but could not eject it. I replaced that with an aftermarket CD stereo. Nissan factory stereos have a reputation for quirkiness.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 AM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Thanks for the response. It was actually a Firestone where I brought my truck to have the break light switch repaired. They told me as per standard procedure, they disconnected the battery before doing the work. I looked under the dash and really don't see any wires or anything else visible in that area (near the break switch) that appears to be related to the CD/Radio (although I don't know much about these things). Firestone is telling me that it's nothing they did and that they don't do electrical/audio work so the repair is not something they would do. I most likely will have to bring it to a place that does that. Not sure if it's worth the trouble to fight with Firestone about it.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Then get an auto stereo shop to take a look. If they fix it and can detail in writing that previous repair was the cause, then take the bill to Firestone for reimbursement, or consider small claims court.

Tags
electrical, frontier, issue, player