Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
E c m problem Forums > > E c m problem E c m problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 AM
2012 Frontier King Cab

Question E c m problem

Hi guys new member to nissanhelp. Toolmanted here, an i have a issue with my 2012 nissan frontier. It all started with a corroded positive cable. After cleaning i turned the key and all it does is spin but won't start. I had a friend with a obd code reader and scanner but it kept saying scanner error. Oh another thing when i turn on the ignition the cooling fan starts and the vehicle isn't hot. Looking at other chat about this issue has me beliving its the ecm. Any help out there?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

If starter spins but the solenoid does not move the gear out to engage the flywheel and make the engine spin, that sounds like a starter issue to me. Can you access the starter terminal and try to - for a second - jump the big starter terminal to the small starter terminal. Must be in park/neutral, and try that to see if engine spins or not.

Parts stores can test the starter for free if you remove it.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMANTED View Post
Hi guys new member to nissanhelp. Toolmanted here, an i have a issue with my 2012 nissan frontier. It all started with a corroded positive cable. After cleaning i turned the key and all it does is spin but won't start. I had a friend with a obd code reader and scanner but it kept saying scanner error. Oh another thing when i turn on the ignition the cooling fan starts and the vehicle isn't hot. Looking at other chat about this issue has me beliving its the ecm. Any help out there?
Ted,

Now that you've cleaned up the Battery Terminal's,, make sure that the Cable's are TIGHT on the Terminal's then put a Heavy Thick Coating of Grease over the Terminal's and Exposed metal on the Cable's.

My advice for what it's worth is to Bite the Bullet, and take it to Nissan for them to diagnose and be prepared for an expensive repair and be thankful if the Repair isn't as much as you expected.

Corroded Battery Terminal's is a Repair Waiting to Happen. No excuse either, because coating with Grease prevent's the Corrosion. In the End Preventative Maintenance is Required on all Vehicle's and is Well Worth the Time and Money Spent to do so.

Regards,
FWIW
Old 08-01-2019, 06:40 AM
2012 Frontier King Cab

Hello guy's TOOLMANTED here and rolling again...!!!
I removed the EMC from my Nissan Frontier and mailed it to a place called Neat Computers in Florida. It cost a $13.40 for shipping and a $93.00 charge to diagnose if fried or not. I received a call two days later that it was fried from low battery power/voltage due to dirty battery cable connection. (KEEP YOUR BATTERY CABLES CLEAN)
They replaced my EMC and programed it to my trucks vin number and mailed it back with a one year warranty for $399.00. I installed it and purchased a new battery for good measure and my truck started as if it never stopped running. Hope this helps...!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMANTED View Post
Hello guy's TOOLMANTED here and rolling again...!!!
I removed the EMC from my Nissan Frontier and mailed it to a place called Neat Computers in Florida. It cost a $13.40 for shipping and a $93.00 charge to diagnose if fried or not. I received a call two days later that it was fried from low battery power/voltage due to dirty battery cable connection. (KEEP YOUR BATTERY CABLES CLEAN)
They replaced my EMC and programed it to my trucks vin number and mailed it back with a one year warranty for $399.00. I installed it and purchased a new battery for good measure and my truck started as if it never stopped running. Hope this helps...!!!
Hello Ted,

Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved. Many time's OP's never let us know.

I know it was an expensive repair,, but it happen's to us all sometime's.

Thick Coating the Batry Terminals, Cable End's and any bare metal on the Cable's with Grease is the Cheapest and Best Way that I know of to prevent Battery Corrosion. It's the Very 1st thing that I did on my 2013 Frontier when I got it home. Just wipe off with a paper towel before disconnecting cable's.

I have a 31 year old rideing mower, lost count on the # of Batry's replaced over the year's,, but never had battery corrosion on the Terminal's or Cable's by putting a Thick Coat of Grease on the Terminal's/Cable Ends.

Here's hopeing you get many more mile's out of your Frontier.

Regards

Last edited by JRJoe; 08-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Tags
problem