Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Timing screw up Forums > > Timing screw up Timing screw up
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 03:56 PM
2000 Frontier

Default Timing screw up

Hi I'm Jake new here to these forms usually don't get on these cuz I can figure it out myself but not this time. I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3 liter V6 the distributor needed replaced so I payed a guy i had met recently to do it for me because he needed tge money and i just didnt have the time to do it myself he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and it's an easy enough job so I figured it would be a win-win rite? Wrong I bought the parts let him use my tools paid him $100 he pulled the old distributor out didn't mark the rotor position and just jammed the new one in. I don't even care about the hundred bucks he can have it, I just need to know how to find the correct position without a timing light any help would be great thanks
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycon View Post
I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3 liter V6 the distributor needed replaced so I payed a guy i had met recently to do it for me because he needed the money and i just didnt have the time to do it myself he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and it's an easy enough job so I figured it would be a win-win rite? Wrong I bought the parts let him use my tools paid him $100 he pulled the old distributor out didn't mark the rotor position and just jammed the new one in. I don't even care about the hundred bucks he can have it, I just need to know how to find the correct position without a timing light any help would be great thanks
1. The good news is that I replaced the distributor on my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder with same engine a few years ago.

2. Bad news is that I set the engine to TDC #1 before pulling the distributor, so I could line up the rotor/distributor shaft correctly. But then use of a timing light is a necessity, sorry. If the body of the distributor is not rotated to the correct position, then the position of the spark plug wires would be wrong. Xenon Timing Light with Advance

Daughter does not live with me, maybe someone with same engine could post a good close photo showing their position of the distributor body, that might help.
How To: Check and Adjust Timing on the VG33E Engine | Nissan XTerra Forum

https://www.autozone.com/repairguide...96b43f8037fd5d

Tags
screw, timing