Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Collent Temperature Forums > > Engine Collent Temperature Engine Collent Temperature
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Thumbs down Engine Collent Temperature

i just bought a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 from Florida. I live in upstate NY. I noticed that the temperature gauge pointer is at the 4 o'clock rather that at the 3 o"clock. I'm thinking it's a little low. I measured the upper block temperature with an IR temp reader and I get 165-175F. Do I need a new thermostat? I am concerned that I will not get good heat during the upcoming cold weather. Installing a thermostat is not as easy as in the past.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL77 View Post
i just bought a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 from Florida. I live in upstate NY. I noticed that the temperature gauge pointer is at the 4 o'clock rather that at the 3 o"clock. I'm thinking it's a little low. I measured the upper block temperature with an IR temp reader and I get 165-175F. Do I need a new thermostat? I am concerned that I will not get good heat during the upcoming cold weather. Installing a thermostat is not as easy as in the past.
Tom,

As far as the Gauge Needle,, that is about what mine is at, when the engine is at normal operateing temperature.

I would say, turn your heater on and see if it is blowing warm air.

Do yourself a Favor and Download yourself a Nissan Service Manual:

reliable-store.com

I got mine from this site for 9 $'s. It come's in PDF File's. I then created a Folder on my desktop, downloaded the file's to that Desktop Folder, then I burned those Folder file's to a CD. Now I have quick access to the Service Manual on my Desktop,, and a Permanent CD stored away.

With the Service Manual,, you'll be able to look up what the Coolant Temperature should be at Normal Operateing Temperature.

Do Yourself and Your Truck a Favor and Download The Service Manual Now, so you'll have it Now and in the future for Preventative Maintenance and Repair.

PS ~ I had to change the direct link above to the General Web Site,, as the Direct link to the "2010 Nissan Factory Service Manual", was being redirected to NissanHelp.com; Just put inside the Quotation Mark's in the Reliable Store Search window,, and Your Manual will come up.

Last edited by JRJoe; 08-29-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Mine runs just about dead center in the gauge. It's possible that the thermostat is partially stuck open. If so, I would recommend getting a genuine Nissan thermostat and gasket. It's not too bad to change. The thermostat comes built into the water outlet and the gasket is metal, so there is very little to clean-up once removed. It's held on with three bolts. You may have to remove the fan shroud and electric fan to get at it. If you want to stick with the factory coolant, it's made by Pentosin and a lot of the larger parts stores are starting to carry it. The Nissan green coolant is Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (must mix 50/50 with distilled water) and the Nissan blue coolant is Pentafrost A3 (sold only as a pre-mix). You'll likely need 2 gallons of coolant.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:52 PM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Thanks for the replies. I have already downloaded the service manual, that is how I learned the location of the thermostat.

It shows these operating temperatures.

Valve opening temperature 80.5 - 83.5°C (177 - 182°F)
Full-open lift amount 8 mm/ 95°C (0.315 in/ 203°F)
Valve closing temperature 77°C (171°F)
The engine just does not seem to be operating at temperatures I have experienced with my other newer vehicles, including my 2004 Frontier. Thermostats are available with temperature rating s of 170 and 180. I'm thinking that the PO installed a 170 degree one die to the high ambient temperatures in FL where the heater is not used. I will install a new 180F thermostat and see what the results are.
Tom
Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL77 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have already downloaded the service manual, that is how I learned the location of the thermostat.

It shows these operating temperatures.

Valve opening temperature 80.5 - 83.5°C (177 - 182°F)
Full-open lift amount 8 mm/ 95°C (0.315 in/ 203°F)
Valve closing temperature 77°C (171°F)
The engine just does not seem to be operating at temperatures I have experienced with my other newer vehicles, including my 2004 Frontier. Thermostats are available with temperature rating s of 170 and 180. I'm thinking that the PO installed a 170 degree one die to the high ambient temperatures in FL where the heater is not used. I will install a new 180F thermostat and see what the results are.
Tom
Tom,

That's good that you've downloaded the Service Manual. That show's that you are being ProActive, and that's what it take's to take good care of your Truck.

On my Temperature Gauge, when at Normal Operateing Temperature it is a little bit below 1/2 way ie 3 O'clock. I would say mine is between 3 O'Clock and 4 O'Clock. The reason that I know,, is I make sure that the Temperature is at Normal Operateing Temperature when I check the ATF Level in the Cold Range.

Personally I would make an effort to check with the previous owner to see if they changed the Thermostat to a colder range. Unless they were the Mechanic Type,, I'm betting that it is the OE Thermostat. It does get Hot down in the lower part of Florida. I'm in line with the Northern Panhandle of Florida,, and it get's Hot here too,, but it's probly 5 or 10 Degree's Hotter down around Fort Myer's.

I know that you don't want to wait until Cold Weather to be doing this,, but You'll have some cold Snap's prior to the Really continuois Cold Weather, and you'll be able to see when those cold snap's come if the Heater is getting hot enough. Just a thought though in case you take a trip where the weather is Hot, with a Hotter Thermostat in place. One thing for sure,, you don't want these engine's to get too hot.

Tags
collent, engine, temperature