Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
where is the fuel filter? Forums > > where is the fuel filter? where is the fuel filter?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Frontier King Cab
2006 frontier king cab

Default where is the fuel filter?

2006 nissan frontier 4.0. ran it out of gas the other day (not paying attention) and don't know if the filter has ever been changed. and my accelerator pedal position sensor acted up the other day it works fine now but these things don't usually fix themselves
Old 07-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The fuel filter is technically "non-serviceable." It is part of the fuel pump module inside the gas tank. Essentially, if the tested fuel pressure is within specs, then the fuel filter is fine. If not, you are likely going to replace the whole fuel pump assembly, not just the filter. This is common on a lot of vehicles made within the last decade.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:14 AM
2015 Rogue

You can get a complete fuel pump on eBay for $50.00
Other online retailers have them for around $65.00
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Frontier King Cab
2006 frontier king cab

that's a silly design. it doesn't need it yet but i don't want to change it in the winter in my driveway and i have run it out of gas twice and that can't be good for it.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverghost1 View Post
that's a silly design.
I agree; my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers have fuel filter underneath on the bed rail. However, these can be a pain due to THEIR design; I actually reversed the mount for the filter on my 1998 to make the change easier:

Nissan is exceedingly dumb in my opinion in the engineering of this, the bracket is in the way of replacing the fuel filter. I've reported that when I got this truck at 100K, the fuel filter had never been replaced, its clamp screws were facing up and essentially impossible to access. It's all designed to be installed before the bed goes on, and screw those trying to do this later on.

So this time I wised up, finally got fed up, so I reversed the bracket to underneath so it wouldn't block access to the fuel filter, yet still secures the filter in place. I drilled three holes in the support bar and used three #12 hex head sheet metal screws after drilling 9/64" holes.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverghost1 View Post
that's a silly design. it doesn't need it yet but i don't want to change it in the winter in my driveway and i have run it out of gas twice and that can't be good for it.
SG,

It's never any fun to run out of Gas,, and that's why I alway's refill when the gauge get's to 1/4 tank.

I guess Nissan Figure's that the Fuel Filter doesn't need changeing until the Fuel Pump needs to be changed out.

Talking about Silly though; I still can't get over how more difficult Nissan made changeing the Oil Filter out is. Talking about Silly,, the oil filter change access hole is Goofy, IMO.

It's the little thing's about doing Preventative Maintenance that make a lot of difference. IMO Whoever designed that Oil Filter Access Hole should be Fired, cause it is plain that they have never changed their own oil.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
You can get a complete fuel pump on eBay for $50.00
Other online retailers have them for around $65.00

There are a lot of Chinese counterfeit and low quality parts being sold on Ebay and some of them are hard to tell from the OE parts. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. It's best to stick with dealers, name brand part stores and reputable online dealers, like Rockauto.com or PartsGeek. When it comes to fuel pumps in Nissan and other Asian brands, I usually stick with the genuine OE part. I've seen too many aftermarket pumps fail out of the box or within the first week after replacing them to chance using one again. As far as it being a silly design, it's actually not Nissan's design and is practically industry standard on modern cars. If you have a significant amount of debris in your gas tank, then chances are it's going to clog the fuel pump strainer before it clogs the filter.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM
2011 Frontier King Cab

running below a 1/4 tank stresses an in tank pump as the fuel keeps it cool + of course you pick up any dirt in the bottom of the tank!!!

Tags
filter, fuel