Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2017 Frontier CC Auto Transmission issue Forums > > 2017 Frontier CC Auto Transmission issue 2017 Frontier CC Auto Transmission issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 AM
2017 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2017 Frontier CC Auto Transmission issue

Has anyone had an issue with holding highway speed (cruise control on) while driving uphill? Mine seems to loose 5 mph or so then down shifts a few gears to get back to speed.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

My '13 SVV6 KC Frontier will do that sometime's, but seem's like it is at speed's lower than 55mph, like 45mph, but if the hill grade was high enough, I'm sure that it would at 55mph too.

One thing that can make a difference is Tire Pressure. Low Tire Pressure can add resistance, so make sure your tire's are up to recommended air pressure.

Mine did come from the Factory with low Coolant and ATF, so it would be prudent to have Nissan Check the ATF Level to make sure it is correct. You can also download the Nissan Frontier Service Manual and check the ATF Level by following the procedure useing the Cold Range after the engine is warmed up at operateing temperature. Otherwise you'll need an OBDII Reader that show's the ATF Fluid Temperature to check after Driveing following the Service Manual Procedure @ 149F Degree's. The Scangauge II is the cheapest Reader that I've found that can do this, but they cost about 150 $'s. Eventually I'll probly get one,, but right now, I need that 150 $'s for other thing's. :)

Last edited by JRJoe; 02-21-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM
2017 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2017 Trans

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I have an extra scanguageII in my other car and a extra cable. The last time I checked it in the Frontier - no codes. Guess its time to see if there are any hidden / stored codes.

I've seen the transmission issue same at slower speeds, but never with a double downshift.

I do have the Service manual for a 2016. I will say, I am quite surprised the antifreeze is not visible at the top of the radiator,,,,but shows over max on the overflow tank. Guess its time for a visit to the dealership again.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netma1000 View Post
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I have an extra scanguageII in my other car and a extra cable. The last time I checked it in the Frontier - no codes. Guess its time to see if there are any hidden / stored codes.

I've seen the transmission issue same at slower speeds, but never with a double downshift.

I do have the Service manual for a 2016. I will say, I am quite surprised the antifreeze is not visible at the top of the radiator,,,,but shows over max on the overflow tank. Guess its time for a visit to the dealership again.
If your Scangauge II won't read the ATF Temperature, contact Scangauge customer service and they can tell you how to update to read the ATF Temperature on your Frontier. The Dipstick reading for the ATF really need's to be done at 149F Degree's after Driveing to get the most accurate reading. There is only 8 oz. between the Low mark and Full Mark, so it almost has to be at a perfect level to function properly.

Mine had a Slack/Jerk on takeoff, but after I added more ATF to between the Low and Full Mark, the Slack was gone. If you check the ATF useing the Cold Range,, just make sure to warm the engine up where the Coolant Gauge is at normal operateing temperature, then follow the Sequence outlined in the Service Manual to check the ATF Level. Just make sure not to overfill. Remember it only take's 8oz between low and full mark!

The service manual for the '16 should be the same for the '17, but the '17 is a free download though.

The Low coolant level in the Radiator is how mine came from the Factory as well. It's supposed to be full in the Radiator. Take the cap off the Reservoir to relieve any pressure, then fill the Radiator with Nissan's Blue Coolant. You can get the Nissan Blue Coolant off of Amazon or Ebay at a lower cost, that's where I got mine, but can't remember which site though.

With your coolant being low from the Factory, then your ATF may be low, like mine was from the Factory.

Also It was recommended by a Nissan Service Advisor that I switch from Regular Gas to MidGrade Gas. He said that it would be better for the Valve's and give me a little bit more power. Since I switched to MidGrade my V6 doe's seem to have a little bit more power on Acceleration. Could be my imagination though. Do be sure to check the tire air pressure, as that can rob from engine power and downshift more. If you don't have an air compressor, Lowe's and Harbor freight have a pretty good price on an 8 gallon for about 100 $'s. I use my air compressor quiet a bit for other thing's as well, real handy to have around.

I've got to save up money for a Scangauge II for this comeing Christmas.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 AM
2017 Frontier Crew Cab

Great suggestions to follow. I will do all of the above. I tried to avoid checking the engine until after they did their due diligence.

I had to send back my scanguage to have it updated to read turbo boost / trans-oil temp/ eng-oil temps / Air fuel for my track car. Noticed how hot the tran-oil became after 5 or 6 hot laps...had to add an additional trans cooler and modify my front spoiler.

Truck has less than 6k miles and one oil service at the dealership. I would have expected them to check it......foolish me.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netma1000 View Post
Great suggestions to follow. I will do all of the above. I tried to avoid checking the engine until after they did their due diligence.

I had to send back my scanguage to have it updated to read turbo boost / trans-oil temp/ eng-oil temps / Air fuel for my track car. Noticed how hot the tran-oil became after 5 or 6 hot laps...had to add an additional trans cooler and modify my front spoiler.

Truck has less than 6k miles and one oil service at the dealership. I would have expected them to check it......foolish me.
It really had me baffled why mine had a Slack/Jerk on takeoff. I talked with several Nissan Advisor's and they all told me that it was normal!! I just couldn't bring myself to believe that though, so I kept digging.

I bought my '13 Brand new,, and it got by 2 Dealership's with a Low Coolant in the Radiator, and a Low ATF Level!!!

It make's me think that the Dealership's are affraid to check the ATF and Just let's it fall back on the Factory doing it right,, and therefore they don't need to go behind them.

I reported Both The Low Coolant and Low ATF to Nissan Consumer Affair's,, and it seemed like they weren't too concerned about it!

What get's me is on the Coolant, all they have to do is take the Radiator Cap off to take a look/see about the Coolant Level,, and they didn't even do that at 2 Nissan Dealership's! That's Amazing to me.

What really concern's me now,, is doe's the person Checking the ATF Level really take the time to do it correctly, because once the Truck has been driven to the Service Department,, they have to drive it again to get the ATF Temperature above 149F and then let it cool back down to 149F to check it at that temperature to get a correct reading on the DipStick according to the Service Manual. I don't know,, but I do wonder if I can trust them to do it correctly.

I think for now,, I've got mine about right useing the Cold Range, by letting the Engine Warm Up to operateing temperature before driveing and then following the Procedure in the Service Manual for checking the ATF Level. Soon as I can, I'll get me a ScanGauge II and check mine after driveing at 149F.

I'm not really criticizeing the Dealership's though. It might be a time constraint or maybe they've been told to not bother with checking the ATF Level. I just don't know, but I know mine was too low to function properly.

If your's turn's out to have a low ATF,, we'll know more.

Tags
auto, frontier, issue, transmission