Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums > > Bad experience with “quality rebuilt” transmission
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 PM
1996 Maxima
2006 Frontier

Default Bad experience with “quality rebuilt” transmission

Review of my experience with Transmission Authority, through Rock Auto:

Extremely poor quality control. Their assurance that they carefully check and then run every rebuilt transmission, both cold and hot, for 30 minutes on their dynamometer is utter nonsense, and I received two, possibly 3, transmissions to prove my contention.

The first transmission, within a mile of its first use in my 2006 Nissan Frontier, slammed into third gear so hard I thought I had run into a huge pothole on a recently paved road. It shifted so hard, under the gentlest acceleration, it really felt like it was instantaneously locking up the rear tires!

To TA’s credit, they sent out a second transmission and paid for shipping and installation, but after 720 miles the second transmission refused to shift into overdrive and instead repeatedly between 3rd and 4th.

TA then sent out a third transmission and then refused to pay to install that one even though the installer, Torrance Transmission Services, found the reason for the failure of the second transmission was a loose, partially unraveled lock-nut on the Band Anchor Pin adjustment screw. The adjustment was likely done at TA, but somehow the loose locknut, located externally near the top of the transmission, got past TA’s “quality”control. Furthermore, when the second transmission was returned TA found “water damage” in the control body. Since there is no connection whatsoever between my transmission and the radiator —- I installed a separate dedicated transmission oil cooler and replaced with new all hose when I installed the first transmission—-their finding water damage really just means that the damage was pre-existing and it too got past their quality control process.

When I tried to make contact with TA over their refusal to pay for installation of transmission number 3, they completely ignored me for weeks. I even offered to split the cost even though their warranty clearly covers installation at $50.00/hour. No returned calls, texts, and at least 7 emails. Finally I got an email telling me to contact Rock Auto about the issue. Rock Auto immediately responded stating it was not their responsibility and for me to take it up with TA! Talk about frustration. Anyway, the purpose of this posting is to provide a heads-up to anyone in need of a new/rebuilt transmission.

My advice: have the transmission rebuilt by a local shop. Barring that, avoid Transmission Authority!

PS: the third transmission has recently developed a hesitation when shifting into D when cold. Stay tuned!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:38 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

There was a problem with the OE Frontier V6 radiator's between '05-'10.
Did you buy your '06 Frontier New or Used? The Radiator should have been replaced with the newer Non defective radiator.
There may have been some residual water still remaining in the Stand Lone OE Transmission Cooler in front of the Condenser. Maybe that's why you installed a 2nd Stand Alone Transmission Cooler?
As I understand Nissan issued an extended warranty to the original owner's, but maybe the one's that purchased a used '05-'10 V6 AT Frontier missed the Nissan Service Campaign.
Hope you get it straightened out, but the money loss on your part, would be hard for me handle.

Last edited by JRJoe; 02-18-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 AM
1996 Maxima
2006 Frontier

JRJoe

Thanks for your response! I bought the truck used about 20 months ago and was fully aware of the radiator/transmission cooler issue. The transmission that came with the truck had significant water contamination as revealed when I removed the pan just for fun (really...the transmission shifted just fine, but I wanted a visual.) I only replaced it with the first transmission from TA because I just couldn’t put the pan back on and drive it knowing what I found!

When I installed the first TA transmission I had replaced, with new, all connections between the transmission and the NEW transmission oil cooler. I also installed the new radiator supplied by TA, but just shorted across the transmission coolant ports. The only cooler in the circuit is the new external unit. No possibility of engine coolant in transmission.

As for the money, is my hope that my posting will help anyone considering a rebuilt transmission from TA (actually, Rock Auto since they are the exclusive source for TA transmissions) make a better decision than I did.

Mr.L

Tags
bad, experience, rebuilt”, transmission, “quality