Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rock Auto shipping price Forums > > Rock Auto shipping price Rock Auto shipping price
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

Default Rock Auto shipping price

I was going to order two gaskets from Rock Auto until I saw the shipping cost.
Two of the same gaskets. Flat plenum gaskets.
Parts $8.98
Shipping $9.99.
I checked to see what it would cost to just get one of them.
one gasket $4.49
Shipping $6.99
Can't understand how they calculate their shipping prices.
I think it's a rip off.
Anyone know of a place that is more honest with their shipping???
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

That's pretty typical of most places. I know CourtesyParts.com and NissanPartsDeal.com usually charge a minimum of $10 on order and more depending on weight and distance. I usually find Rockauto.com to be pretty fair with their shipping prices most of the time; it's funny because sometimes larger items don't cost any more than smaller items when it comes to shipping costs and when purchasing multiple items, try to get them shipped from the same warehouse, which might mean using a different brand for one or more of the parts. Even if the shipping is $10, if the part is significantly discounted compared to the local auto parts store, it still may be cheaper with the shipping and without sales tax compared to the cost of the local store's part with tax but no shipping costs. Sometimes you can find good deals on Ebay with free shipping on parts, but you have to be careful because there are a lot of counterfeit parts that are being made in China and be sold on Ebay, such as counterfeit NGK or Denso spark plugs, and they can be hard to determine if they are the real deal or not unless you carefully study them. I'll typically price parts at Rockauto and then will see what they cost from Advance Auto Parts using a 20% discount code, purchasing online and picking up at the store. AAP also will ship for free if the total is a certain amount; it used to be $75, but I think they lowered it to $25 not long ago. It also depends a lot on what part it is and if I prefer a specific brand. For example, quality of gaskets is usually pretty consistent among different companies, how something like spark plug or wires I'll limit to NGK or Denso brands....or maybe AC Delco if it's a GM vehicle. You just have to do your homework sometimes!
Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

Price is less than if I bought it here.
Just don't like the idea of the shipping being more than the part.
Also the $3 extra for shipping for another of the same part feels wrong.
I'll just keep shoping around.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

To me shipping cost isn't as relevant as the total cost of the part, which includes the part, shipping and tax. If I can get the same part from two different places, one at $10 and the other at $15, I'm going to buy the $10 part. Doesn't much matter if the place that has the $10 part is charging me $2 for the part and $8 for shipping as opposed to the place that is charging $15 for the part and the shipping is free...I'm looking to save $5 regardless of how it all works out!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 PM
2011 Frontier King Cab

there shipping is prolly better than average, but my go to is E-bay usually free or Amazon is free if you spend enough. great thing about Amazon is the free return label + always good pricing, but their fitment info is lacking at times!!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

I guess rock auto has to pay for their silly commercials somehow.
If they were more honest with their shipping, I would order from them.
ebay is hit and miss, Lots of the time the part is either wrong or damaged. Takes forever to resolve.
amazon is another hit and miss.But they don't have a large selection. Returns are much easier.
Here, they jack up the price of everything. Have no choice if you need the part NOW.
That's why I mail order if possible. Stick it to them for doing the same to me.
We have the same problem with food here.
Pack of local grown eggs cost $4 more than eggs brought in from the states.
Same with other food items. Local grown always cost more.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
I guess rock auto has to pay for their silly commercials somehow.
If they were more honest with their shipping, I would order from them.
ebay is hit and miss, Lots of the time the part is either wrong or damaged. Takes forever to resolve.
amazon is another hit and miss.But they don't have a large selection. Returns are much easier.
Here, they jack up the price of everything. Have no choice if you need the part NOW.
That's why I mail order if possible. Stick it to them for doing the same to me.
We have the same problem with food here.
Pack of local grown eggs cost $4 more than eggs brought in from the states.
Same with other food items. Local grown always cost more.
I don't see how they are being dishonest about their shipping. They ship from multiple warehouses, which is why they can offer such great selection. They let you pick multiple choices among the same part and they will show you in your cart which one is the cheapest with shipping prices included, if you use their selection tool. Also, when you have at least one item in your cart, any other items you search for will have a truck silhouette next to the ones that ship from the same warehouse. And finally, when you are ready to check out, they lists where each item ships from and gives you the choice of type of shipping and cost, i.e. ground shipping, priority mail, express shipping, etc. They aren't being dishonest in any way, but it does help if you understand how to work the site for the best possible deals and lowest costs.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

I was going to order two of the same part.
I don't think they are coming from different warehouses.
They just tack on extra cost for pulling two parts from the same place.
Two plenum gaskets.
Shipping for one was $6.99. add another, of the same thing, shipping goes up to $9.99.
I don't get it.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:16 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

One could always contact customer service for the reasoning behind the increase in shipping price. They've always replied quickly to the emails I've sent them.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:04 AM
2011 Frontier King Cab

you gotta shop around, + it couldn't be easier than on-line!! I use E-Bay a LOT + never an issue, PayPal protects you wherever + even on a private purchase!! everything today costs more as wages increase, look at the prices of pickup tanks aka trucks + the big 10G discounts when not enough suckers pay list price!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Ebay is good but you have to be careful about counterfeit parts. I've purchased both "genuine Nissan" spark plugs and "Aisin brand" fuel injectors (for a Toyota 3.4L) and they both turned out to be Chinese counterfeits and if you really didn't study the parts and knew what to look for, it would have been easy to mistake them from genuine. For example, the counterfeit "genuine Nissan" spark plugs came in boxes that looked just like what you would get from Nissan and unless you had a "known" genuine part of which to compare, it would be hard to distinguish the differences. What caught my attention was when I noticed a copper core inside the ground electrode; these were NGK laser platinum plugs which are supposed to have a solid Nickel ground electrode. At that point I did some more investigating and noticed on the box, which lists both the NGK and Nissan part numbers, had the incorrect Nissan part number on it. I'm all for saving money on parts, but you just have to be careful when the prices are too good to be true, especially on auction sites.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:43 PM
2011 Frontier King Cab

Default only rebranded

nissan DON'T make spark plugs as well as many other parts, they rebrand + increase the prices!!! i find non OE branded aftermarkets less costly + even better quality at times!! your $$$ your choice.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Nissan uses NGK spark plugs; they have for a very long time. What I'm saying is that there are companies making counterfeit NGK plugs and counterfeit Nissan boxes and selling them on Ebay as genuine NGK or genuine Nissan parts. NGK is the largest spark plug manufacturer in the world and is also the most counterfeited. Denso spark plugs are also counterfeited. Many of these parts are sold on Ebay. My point is be wary of where you buy your parts from; sometimes you don't always get what you bargain for! Here are a couple of links on the topic:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/bl...m-august-2017/

PLUG STUDIO / NGK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0KhDejOWkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qoexlzElv4
Old 05-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

I remember when I was young, I used to buy NGK plugs for $0.75 each.
Now they run around $3.00 or more.
I've used NGK plugs in all my vehicles.
Others would tell me NGK stands for "No Good Kind"
Never had a problem.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:27 AM
2011 Frontier King Cab

i too like NGK branded plugs + use the standard ones when i can find a fitment as the fancy iridiums are for longevity + are poor conductors!! since i am a DIY labor is FREE!!!

Tags
auto, price, rock, shipping