Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Auto trans model no. Forums > > Auto trans model no. Auto trans model no.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 PM
2001 Frontier

Default Auto trans model no.

First time posting. I have a 2001 Frontier SE, 3.3 V6, Crew Cab. Non 4x4.
Could you tell me the model no. of the auto trans that’s in this truck or where I might find it. It’s doing the “ not wanting to go forward when in gauged into drive” I’ve rebuild a few Chevy auto trans but never one of these.
I’ve read that this year trans wasn’t the best. Are there other/newer Nissan auto transmissions that can be retro fitted into this 2001 without any problems? Thank for any info.

Last edited by larrylarry; 11-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The transmission is made by Jatco. The model # should be "RE4R01A." The trans model # should be on a sticker on the driver's door or door jamb if you want to double-check. It's a decent trans, better than the earlier 3-speed automatic. I don't know any other trans that is better that can be retrofitted without a whole lot of headache. If you can rebuild a 700R4, than you should have no problem rebuilding an RE4R01A; they both have clutch drums, planetaries and sun gears, a valve body and torque converter, one-way clutches...
Old 11-02-2017, 02:30 AM
2001 Frontier

Yes, I’ve built 2 700r4s. I was thinking about getting something to work on now & when this one in my truck poops out I’ll already have something else to use.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Think about it: they say that your year trans "isn't the best," but it's probably original and your vehicle is almost 17 years old. My '03 has the same trans except w/ 4x4 and it has over 200,000 miles on it; it has a bit of a harsh shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but it doesn't slip and otherwise shifts fine. Nissan and some Mazdas used the Jatco 4R01 transmission from 1988-2004, which is a pretty long run for any automatic transmission. You hear now and then that one of these is in need of a rebuild, but that can be said of any automatic trans with a lot of miles on it. How many times do you hear of a bad Ford or Dodge automatic transmission or a Nissan CVT that has to be replaced? I hear about them all the time! So, I wouldn't be so hard on the RE4R01A. One thing I can tell you is that if you service it or rebuild it, don't use Dexron III/Mercon ATF in it, as Nissan has determined it can cause sticking in the valve body. Use a transmission fluid that is recommended for Dexron II applications, as the viscosity is a little thinner. This would include Nissan-matic Type "D" ATF and most aftermarket synthetics, like Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF, Castrol Transmax Multi-import ATF, to name a few.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 AM
2001 Frontier

My 01 Frontier has 247,000 thousand miles & I’m sure the trans has never been out. After research on the RE4R01A it a good trans. I might take a trip out to the local pick n pull an see if I could find a rebuilt one & take it apart/ check it out.

Tags
auto, model, trans