Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Frontier 2.4L Catalytic Converter Install Help Forums > > 2001 Frontier 2.4L Catalytic Converter Install Help 2001 Frontier 2.4L Catalytic Converter Install Help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 AM
2001 Frontier King Cab
2001 Frontier XE

Default 2001 Frontier 2.4L Catalytic Converter Install Help

Hey guys
I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and have run into a lack of information.
Referencing the manual and its section on installing the manifold it only lists the torque specs for the manifold to head nuts.

Turning to the catalytic converter section it says to take the vehicle to a mechanic, so I need the torque specs for the Cat. to the manifold nuts.

My second issue is the crush seal that goes between the manifold and the Cat.
Upon disassembly I found there was no crush seal so I don't know which side of the seal goes up or down..or even if this application requires a crush seal.. (Attached is a picture of this seal)

Can anyone help?
Attached Thumbnails
2001 Frontier 2.4L Catalytic Converter Install Help-100_7755-jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 04:29 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitjon View Post
Hey guys
I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and have run into a lack of information.
Referencing the manual and its section on installing the manifold it only lists the torque specs for the manifold to head nuts.

Turning to the catalytic converter section it says to take the vehicle to a mechanic, so I need the torque specs for the Cat. to the manifold nuts.

My second issue is the crush seal that goes between the manifold and the Cat.
Upon disassembly I found there was no crush seal so I don't know which side of the seal goes up or down..or even if this application requires a crush seal.. (Attached is a picture of this seal)

Can anyone help?
The wire ring goes in first then the metal ring goes on top of it with the open side facing down so the wire ring fits inside it. I don't know the torque off hand. We usually just run then down with a 3/8 impact wrench.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:59 PM
2001 Frontier King Cab
2001 Frontier XE

mpe235 thanks for the reply

I just talked to the manufacturer's rep who produced my Cat. (EMI - Eastern Catalytic) who said to only use the wire mesh ring and torque the bolts to 27-32 ft lbs.

Their site shows only the mesh ring that comes with their Cat., but the Dorman exhaust manifold I bought came with the steel outer ring and the mesh ring..

It would seem that using the outer ring would provide a better seal and hold the mesh ring in place when assembling.

I think the rep may have been referring to his catalogue picture rather than hands on experience, but now I'm a little torn between your advice and his..although it would make better sense to use the metal ring..

Tags
2.4l, 2001, 24l, catalytic, converter, frontier, install