Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine smoking Forums > > Engine smoking Engine smoking
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-15-2017, 04:21 PM
2004 Frontier

Exclamation Engine smoking

So I have a 2004 frontier. there was a small amount of smoke coming from the driver side exhaust manifold. I could see a bit of oil dip from the valve cover onto the manifold. did a code check. did not bring up any codes. (the smoke is burnt oil. not exhaust or coolant)

I removed the upper intake manifold. removed and cleaned the the valve cover. replaced the gasket. Put everything back together. replaced the spark plugs and wires. (#6 was very painful.)

now it doesn't run right at all. multiple misfire code with a check engine light. still smokes. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
I could see a bit of oil dip from the valve cover onto the manifold. did a code check. did not bring up any codes. (the smoke is burnt oil. not exhaust or coolant)
now it doesn't run right at all. multiple misfire code with a check engine light. still smokes. any help would be greatly appreciated.
The smoke may be from residual oil dripping. For the misfire, double check your work for intake air or vacuum leaks. Check plugs for proper spark gaps. Do spark test on each spark plug wires. Do these first before continuing. If all a Okay, refer to Engine Control Manual for further diagnosis. Manuals are in Knowledgebase section at the top menu tab. You may download manuals from this site for free.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM
2004 Frontier

Thank you. It was residual oil that was burning. the miss-fire was cased by a faulty vacuum hose. I appreciate the assistance.

Tags
engine, smoking