Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
EGR BPT Valve? Forums > > EGR BPT Valve? EGR BPT Valve?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 AM
2000 Frontier

Default EGR BPT Valve?

I've got a P0400 check engine light on my 2000 Frontier.

I've done the following:
  • replaced EGR valve, because the rubber diaphragm was chock full of carbon
  • replaced a bunch of vacuum hoses because they were also clogged with carbon
  • removed and cleaned the throttle because the vacuum orifice was impossibly clogged with carbon
  • verified that the EGRC solenoid was working using multimeter and car battery

However, after all that, the EGR valve still wasn't opening when it was supposed to. So I checked for vacuum and verified that vacuum worked all the way up to the hose for the EGRC BPT valve. Then, mysteriously, I get positive pressure FROM the EGRC BPT valve. So exhaust gasses are leaking from the EGRC BPT valve into the vacuum system.

Is this normal behavior? If not, how do I fix it without replacing it? It's a bit expensive for a plastic part. I think it might explain why my system was so full of carbon.

Last edited by x0a; 02-11-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2017, 03:17 PM
2000 Frontier

Turns out my EGRC BPT valve was bad. Posting some documentation in case anyone else faces the same issue.

I applied 30 PSI of pressure to the bottom port per the service manual, and saw gasses escape through the vacuum ports. Definitely not correct behavior

Taking apart the valve I found the little rubber diaphragm brittle and torn to shreds, and the spring broken from rust. The exhaust gasses leaked to the vacuum system and clogged everything on the way.

I temporarily fixed my problem by bypassing the EGRC-BPT valve and hooking the solenoid straight to the EGR valve. No more hesitation on take off
Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Default Good Job

Thanks for posting the How To Verify and Fix with picture's.

Won't be long till your's will be 20 year's old.

Regard's

Tags
bpt, egr, valve