Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
two new pumps a new distributor and fuel filter and fuel pump relay with no fuel making it out of tank help Forums > > two new pumps a new distributor and fuel filter and fuel pump relay with no fuel making it out of tank help two new pumps a new distributor and fuel filter and fuel pump relay with no fuel making it out of tank help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-24-2016, 08:11 PM
2000 Frontier

Default two new pumps a new distributor and fuel filter and fuel pump relay with no fuel making it out of tank help

I am working on a 2000 model frontier v6 and cant get either of the new fuel pumps to move fuel from tank
have power to the pump but wont even get to the feed line

any thoughts
Old 09-25-2016, 12:07 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You have power to the pump...or power to the sending unit connector on top of the tank? These models had problems with the fuel senders developing corrosion in the sending unit causing an open circuit to the fuel pump or excessive resistance. There was a recall on the part for those in the "salt states," but the problem can occur even if you don't live in those states. You can contact Nissan and check for open recalls and campaigns for your vehicle. You can also remove the sending unit and check the continuity of the circuits through the sending unit.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:06 AM
2000 Frontier

I have replaced the sending unit under campaign and filter and relay as general principle but neither of the new pumps are moving fuel I suspect a loss of voltage which I will be checking today but it is driving me crazy
Old 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
2000 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontieremt@sta29 View Post
I have replaced the sending unit under campaign and filter and relay as general principle but neither of the new pumps are moving fuel I suspect a loss of voltage which I will be checking today but it is driving me crazy
Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I would jump the fuel pump relay harness connector pins for the circuit that feeds power to the fuel pump. This should provide constant power to the fuel pump sender harness connector, which can be verified with a 12V test light. Then, you can check the ground circuit. If those are good, you should be able to connect the harness connectors to the sender and the pump should run. It wouldn't hurt to have a fuel pressure regulator installed to be able to read the pressure. If the pump isn't running at this point, then you have deduct that the problem lies either in the fuel pump sender or the fuel pump, itself and it's circuit to the sender. If you can hear the fuel pump running, but the pressure gauge shows no or low pressure (it should be reading a static pressure around 40-45 psi), then either the new pump is bad or there is a leak in the hose between the sender and the pump.
Now, with the appropriate terminals of the fuel pump relay connector jumped, there is no power to the fuel sender, then confirm power at the harness connector. If there is power there, but not at the sender's connector, there is an issue with the wire between them (shorted/open circuit). If there is no power at the appropriate pin at the harness connector, then you have to look for a blown fuse or fusible link or a bad power supply to the relay harness connector.
If, with the relay still jumped, the circuit for the power supply is good AND the ground at the pump is good AND the fuel pump/hose/sender are good, the fuel system should be primed at the proper pressure and the vehicle should start. If it does, then remove the jumper from the relay connector and install the relay. If, with the fuel pump relay installed, the engine doesn't start and continue to run, then you have to look at the power and ground of the solenoid side of the fuel pump relay, which energized and closes the contacts of the switch side of the relay that provides power to the pump.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:49 PM
2000 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
I would jump the fuel pump relay harness connector pins for the circuit that feeds power to the fuel pump. This should provide constant power to the fuel pump sender harness connector, which can be verified with a 12V test light. Then, you can check the ground circuit. If those are good, you should be able to connect the harness connectors to the sender and the pump should run. It wouldn't hurt to have a fuel pressure regulator installed to be able to read the pressure. If the pump isn't running at this point, then you have deduct that the problem lies either in the fuel pump sender or the fuel pump, itself and it's circuit to the sender. If you can hear the fuel pump running, but the pressure gauge shows no or low pressure (it should be reading a static pressure around 40-45 psi), then either the new pump is bad or there is a leak in the hose between the sender and the pump.
Now, with the appropriate terminals of the fuel pump relay connector jumped, there is no power to the fuel sender, then confirm power at the harness connector. If there is power there, but not at the sender's connector, there is an issue with the wire between them (shorted/open circuit). If there is no power at the appropriate pin at the harness connector, then you have to look for a blown fuse or fusible link or a bad power supply to the relay harness connector.
If, with the relay still jumped, the circuit for the power supply is good AND the ground at the pump is good AND the fuel pump/hose/sender are good, the fuel system should be primed at the proper pressure and the vehicle should start. If it does, then remove the jumper from the relay connector and install the relay. If, with the fuel pump relay installed, the engine doesn't start and continue to run, then you have to look at the power and ground of the solenoid side of the fuel pump relay, which energized and closes the contacts of the switch side of the relay that provides power to the pump.
I just had helper turn the key to run position and the white wire has a value of 11.7 volt on meter with 12.1 at battery. batt is charging now
I also can hear the pump running however isn't pulling fuel. I can try to switch hose from pump to sender to verify seal but previous pump (new) exactly same symptoms. confuzzled thanks for your thoughts
Old 09-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Maybe the hose is leaking inside the tank?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 AM
2000 Frontier

Possible am checking tonight

Thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Did you rig up a hose directly from the fuel pump outlet like to an empty jar and see if that shoes fuel???

Be aware, fire danger with gasoline !
Old 09-27-2016, 06:33 AM
2000 Frontier

Yes I am now checking grounds
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I thought you heard the pump running? If the pump is running, then the power and ground is good.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:16 PM
2000 Frontier

Default Uggghhh frontier is vexing

initial concern: No fuel in return line no fuel pressure.

resolution Fuel Pump

0325 and 340

checked timing and rotor was turning and cam sensor bank 1 a circuit prompted to replace distributor.

fuel filter new crank sensor replaced fuel pump relay replaced sending unit replaced

vehicle started and ran fine 30 minutes at normal operating temp left overnight no start when it starts it runs in high idle 10mto15 seconds and shuts off. (similar to losing base idle) I cant find what is going on and am stumped when idling 10 seconds runs great then dies. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Stick to the basics and remember that just because parts are "new," it doesn't mean they are good or working properly. What's the fuel pressure?

Tags
distributor, filter, fuel, making, pump, pumps, relay, tank