Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Computer Issue in 1999 Frontier Forums > > Engine Computer Issue in 1999 Frontier Engine Computer Issue in 1999 Frontier
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default Engine Computer Issue in 1999 Frontier

I have a 1999 Nissan Frontier 4x2 4 cylinder 5speed in need of computer repair. Dealer wants $1000.00 +; another place told me $900.00 Used+ install. This in Ontario Canada where money buys nothing and We pay Tax on top of Tax and recently added another Tax piled on for some products.

The Check engine light has been on for 6 years truck runs well but runs rich in fail safe mode as getting speed signal from the anti-lock wheel signal not from the speed sensor thus check engine light on and cruse control not working. (speed sensor checked and replaced, wiring to speedo and back to computer checked by several mechanics. Everyone points to Computer.
Dealer can not communicate with computer properly I can hook up my laptop to read OBDII info and reset check engine light but comes on in short time again. Every two years passes Emission Test very Clean. I just turn off check engine light before going for test.
Truck 230,000KM so near showroom condition I get so-many offers to buy it; underside has slight rust on leaf springs and front suspension parts. Oil sprayed. I'm keeping it until it stops or I do. Only thing changed on it oil, tires twice, brake pads/shoes twice, tailgate support cables and yearly Wax and elbow-grease.

So I finally decided to spin the wheel of luck and take out computer and send to a rebuild shop $500.00 + .
Tonight I puled the drivers seat out to find a box under it. What is this?
I thought computer was on firewall behind heater?
How hard to get at it? Anyone have experience?
Guidance and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by BEM; 05-30-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: additional
Old 05-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I believe it's on the tunnel behind the center console. Look to the right of the gas pedal and you should see it.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

From Drivers side On the tunnel behind heater vent I see a pile of wires in a opaque plastic box with one bolt in center. I thought computer was a steel box.
Does the heater and console have to come out? Looks tight back there.
Whats the magic box under the drivers seat looks well bolted in place.
Is it the crash recorder? A.K.A. blackbox.

thanks smj999smj for reply

I better disconnect the battery before going further.
In my much younger days I was a better contortionist installing/repairing radios in cars; Now I just discovered my body betrays me as rigormortis has settled in.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:07 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You have found the ECM. The opaque cover protects the wires. If you loosen the bolt (10mm head), it will start to pull the harness connector out of the ECM. There may be a plastic cover over the ECM. It's been a long time since I had to remove one. There may be a couple of bolts on the passenger side of the tunnel or possibly a metal clip that it slides into. It can be removed without removing anything else, but, "yes," it is tight. Thank your friendly Nissan engineers for that!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I pulled both seats out makes it easier and the harness comes down passenger side across computer yes it's metal on other side.
I found another mystery box under the center consul. With all the open space under the engine hood of this truck Why are all these boxes not in one sealed box in the engine bay.
I bought a Hynes Nissan Frontier service book when I bought the truck but it leaves so many things out and poor photos they take you so far then drop you. What a waist of money.
Summer just got started here and were already sitting at 90F too hot in truck to work until night.
I found one local shop that rebuilds computers hunting for others before I hand it over. I have to find out when I get computer back will it be flash programed with the newest software or am I stuck with disabled truck in my drive.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The put them there because it has less exposure to the outdoor elements and being on the tunnel, it sits several inches above the floor boards, which could help it if the vehicle goes through enough water to enter the vehicle (within reason). Is it convenient to work on? No, not at all. But, Nissan ECMs are usually pretty reliable on the whole. Nissan did start putting them in the engine compartment on later models, like the D40 Frontiers and R51 Pathfinders.
Try Circuit Boards Medics; they have a pretty good reputation.

Circuit Board Medics - Automotive & Appliance Circuit Repair
Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

CBM yes have heard of them for appliances but not in Canada.
I sent a Gigabyte motherboard for a computer off for repair under warranty to USA cost me just under $100.00 shipping packaging one way. Was a $500.00 board but still that shipping kills. Board still has issues.
So looking for local repair first; Dealers must use Local repairs. I found a few but no reviews on them.
CBM under Nissan seems specific price for each repair in the computer board not a price to get all working to factory spec and up to date Flash on it as I expect.
As the site said give a call.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

1999 Frontier ECMs aren't programmable like later models. They had PROMs soldered to the board. When Nissan came out with an update, they replaced the entire ECM. I think most places that you'll find that repair them will do just that: repair the board and leave the PROM as is, but you can always check.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Yes just another issue in fixing this bug. I suspect the Eprom is in need of replacement and I'm finding so called rebuilders do nothing but solder joints and replace capacitors; those I called don't even flash they send everyone to the Dealer for another $300.00 hit.
Looks like $1000.00 ++ repair I'm thinking.
Truck has run for several years as is just wanted to have engine back to spec and cruse working again. It's running in fail safe mode and when that goes I'm stranded dead on the road.
Used computer is risky and very limited in Canada as are these 1997-1999 Trucks; even when New few Dealers sold them in Ontario and fewer have seen them back for repairs.

I can't even get an oil change for this truck from my Nissan Dealer they don't carry regular 10w30 Oil. (and I won't change to synthetic oil or it's price at this late date). Synthetic has many virtues but I don't believe it saves consumers one cent in the end.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

After all the work removing the seats and console I thought good time to steam clean the whole truck inside and scotch guard it again.

Still bugged I climbed back in to look at computer again. Not being one to give up easily I decided to find out how hard it is to get computer out myself. (For anyone wanting a challenge here is the method)

1999 Frontier Removing Computer:

1. You have to remove the lower front console in front of shiftier two screws on side and it pulls out.

2. Remove the single screw in the plastic box on the driver side of computer this is the large wire harness connector It pulls off toward drivers door. With the connector you will find trailing a small square connector box and a single small connector I believe might be for flashing computer by Dealer?? Handle with care once removed there are now exposed connector pins on side of computer do not bang or touch these pins.

3.Behind the lower console that you have removed there are four screws going into the floor it's the back two (towards engine) you remove to loosen computer from truck.

4.The Large harness Cable attaches on driver side of computer runs around front of computer and up passenger side into upper dash, handle with care not to cut it or your hands on all the very sharp metal edges under dash. The large harness has Plastic Zip ties holding it firm one on each side of the two floor screws; these straps go around harness and attach to bracket or computer. There is another on the passenger side. They are real tight don't cut harness as you remove them. I used small side cutters to cut zip ties.

5. Once zip ties are removed freeing computer from harness computer is free from truck but still lodged under dash; it takes some working to get it out from under the dash it slides out driver side Don't damage Harness or the Now exposed connector pins on side of Computer.

installation reverse.

Note: I removed the seats an easy job; you could do it with only the driver seat out (My driver seat had one electrical cable and connector to remove under it.

Hope this instruction helps other. To bad Haynes book did not have it.

Now that I have computer in hand I have to contemplate what to do.

Tags
1999, computer, engine, frontier, issue