Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 frontier cat converter throw code, no symptoms Forums > > 2005 frontier cat converter throw code, no symptoms 2005 frontier cat converter throw code, no symptoms
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 03-20-2016, 05:55 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2005 frontier cat converter throw code, no symptoms

Hello. I recently bought an 05 frontier 4x4. It runs well. Has great acceleration, pretty smooth shifting, and the fan apperantly runs well (sounds like a jet engine when first going XD). The truck's exhaust seems like it goes out pretty well and its mpg is pretty normal. (showing an average of 17 to 18 driving the roads out here)

The other day (only had it for a few days) it starting throwing two out of 4 or five codes for the catalytic converters being clogged. (2nd and 3rd code, will re-read tomorrow to get exact numbers). I havent lost any power nor do I hear any strange sounds. The engine seems to be running without misfires. It doesnt seem to be having any difficulties.

Is there something wrong with the truck I can look for? Do you think a cat or two is dead? Should I be worried and stop driving the truck till I get this figured out?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:21 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The codes are probably P0420 and/or P0430. Those codes don't mean that the converter(s) are clogged, but means they are inefficient. If the catalyst substrate inside the upstream catalytic converter is no longer efficient at breaking down the exhaust gases, it will trigger these codes, but it doesn't present a restriction problem for the exhaust flow. There are a couple of things that can cause these codes, but 99% of the time, it is typically the upstream catalytic converter that is the cause and it will need to be replaced. The upstream converters are the only ones that are monitored; the rear converters are not, but seldom fail. My 2006 Pathfinder had the left bank converter replaced at 84000 miles and I just replaced the right bank at 160,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:41 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

I dont live in a state that regulates emissions. Is this problem immediate, as in chuckin ceramic debris into the engine?

Also, I checked the codes again. I have the dreaded p1754 code. I recently had the transmission fluid changed (on Friday March 18th actually). I dont feel anything off about the transmission. Engine temps are staying fine, and soon I will check the radiator (as soon as it cools down) for milk. I am extremely worried about this one. Cats I can replace. Transmission I cannot.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Well it turns out the truck has transmission fluid in the radiator. The truck seems to shift fine, but not gonna drive it till this can get fixed. A local shop quoted me at $572 for parts + labor for the new radiator, fluid, and transmission flush/fill. They say they can get it done in 4 hrs on monday.

Another shop told me that sounded like a head gasket, but the oil looks normal.

Throwing that code (p1754) + brown transmission fluid before they changed it + transmission fluid in the radiator sounds like the radiator is leaking into the transmission, right?

Is it worth the fix? Will it die one day cause it ran with coolant in the transmission?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Throwing that code (p1754) + brown transmission fluid before they changed it + transmission fluid in the radiator sounds like the radiator is leaking into the transmission, right?
Correct
Quote:
Is it worth the fix?
Depends on the condition of your Frontier and how much you need it and like it.
Quote:
Will it die one day cause it ran with coolant in the transmission?
Not sure what is your question here.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Correct
Depends on the condition of your Frontier and how much you need it and like it.
Not sure what is your question here.
The fix via the local shop is to change the radiator and flush the transmission. If I do this, is the life of the transmission severely shortened? Will this even help or will it just die 5k miles down the road?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
The fix via the local shop is to change the radiator and flush the transmission. If I do this, is the life of the transmission severely shortened? Will this even help or will it just die 5k miles down the road?
Contact Nissan and see if they'll help you out.

Water in the Transmission sure won't do it anygood. Probably depend's on how long the water has been in there.

Might be a good time to Trade it in on a 2016 Frontier before the New Model come's out.

If you contact Nissan Consumer Affair's, they'll probably give you a Loyalty Discount ie VPP, on a New Nissan.

How long before problem's is the 5K $ question.

Seem's to me with your current information,, you've got enough choice's to make a good move, without too much pain.

Good Luck
Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Though, why is it that my cel is only throwing the one trans code? You would think it would be multiple no? And it didnt throw it yesterday. It only showed the codes for the clogged cats yesterday. I am sure that there is prolly dmg, but if it isnt throwing all the trans codes, could it possibly be not too bad?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

As far as the converters, there is no way to tell if the catalyst substrate is breaking down unless you remove the converter. Having the substrate become "inefficient" and causing a code doesn't mean the converter substrate is falling apart, restricted, clogged or anything else other than it is not efficiently breaking down the exhaust emissions. This is tested by comparing the rich-lean cycling frequency of the upstream oxygen sensor to the cycling of the downstream oxygen sensor on each, respective bank. Ideally, the upstream sensor should have a 2:1 cycling frequency compared to the rear under cruising conditions. If the ratio is close to 1:1, it tells the ECM that the upstream catalytic converter is not doing it's job and it triggers, depending on engine bank, a P0420 or P0430 catalyst efficiency code. There are other factors that can cause these trouble codes as well, including a too rich or too lean condition or exhaust leaks, but most of the time it's due to a bad, upstream converter. If the converter is merely inefficient, it can be driven safely without any damage to the engine or affect on engine performance. As far as a replacement converter, I've used Walker catalytic converters with good success and they are half the price of genuine Nissan converters, however, if you live in California, you must make sure the catalytic converter is CARB certified. I recently purchased a Walker, right bank, upstream catalytic converter for my 06 Pathfinder for just $90. It was listed as "scratch and dent," but the only thing wrong with it was a little bit of light rust on some of the surfaces.
As far as the radiator, it's a shame you didn't replace the radiator as preventative maintenance or bypass the radiator's trans cooler earlier. If you found the problem early enough, you may be able to get away with replacing the radiator and flushing the trans fluid. Usually, the first things that get affected by the contamination are the shift solenoids. Unfortunately, you have to replace the entire, expensive, valve body/TCM assembly in order to replace the solenoids. At this point, I would go the flush route. Only time will tell if the trans will be affected by the contamination. The usual problem that begins to be experienced due to contamination is a vibration or shudder in the transmission at highway speeds (which can also be caused by bad U-joints, another common problem on these vehicles).
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

It drives about as smooths as my pontiac vibe (havent driven it since the code popped and havent owned it long). When I drove it on the highway, it felt like a tire was unbalanced (and apperantly the rear driver side was low). The code didnt pop up the day i drive it going 70 or the next.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Update: I checked the transmission fluid level while the engine was cold. It looks like they have overfilled it quite a bit. Could that cause that particular transmission code?

Also, I have only driven about 100 miles since the transmission fluid change.

Last edited by Explainplz; 03-22-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainplz View Post
Update: I checked the transmission fluid level while the engine was cold. It looks like they have overfilled it quite a bit. Could that cause that particular transmission code?

Also, I have only driven about 100 miles since the transmission fluid change.

There is a certain procedure to use when checking the AT Fluid. The correct method is in the Service Manual. This is how I check mine: Drive about 10 to 15 mile's @ 55mph. On level Ground(Back at the Garage), Kill engine, and take out the dipstick bolt. Crank engine back up, apply emergency brake, Engine Idle run the gearshift through all the gear's,, and return to park, leave the engine running and check the dipstick, useing the Hot Range.

The SM says that you can use the Cold Range if the Ambient Temperature is within a certain range,, but has to be rechecked useing the hot range.

Between the Low and Full mark's in the Hot Range is 1 Pint.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

I checked again after letting it idle for about a half an hour. I know I should drive it, but if the coolant is leaking into the trans I'm trying to save some life so I can drive it for a bit.

I chalked the wheels and put the truck through each of the gears and into neutral. I checked it again. Each time I have checked it, cold or warm, the tranny fluid goes past the markers and onto the wire holding the aluminum (i think) gauge. It seems very full.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainplz View Post
I checked again after letting it idle for about a half an hour. I know I should drive it, but if the coolant is leaking into the trans I'm trying to save some life so I can drive it for a bit.

I chalked the wheels and put the truck through each of the gears and into neutral. I checked it again. Each time I have checked it, cold or warm, the tranny fluid goes past the markers and onto the wire holding the aluminum (i think) gauge. It seems very full.
To use the Cold dipstick mark's, the outside temperature needs to be between 86F and 122F. The engine needs to be at operateing temperature, before the Truck has been driven, then move the gear selector through all the gear's, leave the engine running and check dipstick.

Here is a link to the Service Manual: Page 43 for the V6 AT.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier...rontier/MA.pdf

You should check with Nissan consumer affair's and with the Nissan Service Manager. Might be able to get this covered by Nissan. All they can do is say No.

With the AT Fluid being BROWN, that's a Red Flag to me. If it were me; If Nissan will help,, have it flatbedded to the Dealer. If Nissan won't,, then I'd have it flatbeded to whoever is going to Flush the AT, then Bypass the Radiator, to isolate the AT Fluid, then Clean it up good, and Use the Nissan's Loyalty Discount,(Call Nissan Customer Affair's to get a VPP), then Trade it in on the least expensive New Frontier. That will get you out of the Hole so to speak,, and give you plenty of time to get what you want later on.

To me it is a 5K $ Gamble,, and if you can handle a 5K $ Losing Hand,, then Flush, New Radiator, Cross Finger's and Continue to Drive. The BROWN AT Fluid is a Big Waveing Red Flag to me. If the AT Fluid was still clear,, then I'd say, a good gamble to Continue to Drive.

Just my .02 and hope it helps.

Last edited by JRJoe; 03-22-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Today when I checked it, it was still clear red colored- but again it was changed this past Friday and driven approx 100 miles (~65 miles hwy). No froth or anything. The radiator fluid isnt brown and when I dip a paper towel into it, I get back green and dark green bits amongst the green.

Both times I checked the dipstick, cold or hot, it was still red/clear and was far over the marker, I couldnt tell where it stopped cause it continued on past the max markers.

I DID see the old trans fluid on the dipstick before it was changed. It was clear/brown. It didn't like sludgy or anything and certainly wasn't choco milk or anything.

Last edited by Explainplz; 03-22-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Tags
2005, cat, code, converter, frontier, symptoms, throw