Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 frontier dash light out Forums > > 2004 frontier dash light out 2004 frontier dash light out
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2015, 03:29 PM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2011 Maxima

Unhappy 2004 frontier dash light out

After I installed after market radio, dash lights remain off. Have power to dimmer switch pnk/blk, blu/red wires. But behind radio harness those two wire are not connected due to radio setup. All fuses are good, what am I missing to luminate dash?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

OK, you have positive voltage, so no fuse is blown. Your bulbs provide the resistance for the circuit. So what you don't have is a ground connection.

Correct: most modern stereos do NOT use the dimmer/panel circuit for their lighting, they're LED from the power wire to the stereo.

For my own 2004 Frontier: when I added an aftermarket unit to replace the stock CD player (which lost its ability to eject a CD, and the CD stuck in there was from previous owner), I used a wire harness adapter from Autozone to make it easier. I still soldered all the stereo's wires to that adapter instead of using crimp connectors. I also added Rostra aftermarket cruise control.

Last edited by Cusser; 12-30-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:52 PM

2004 Frontier

Reviving an old post here. I also have a 2004 Crew Cab SC. I also replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket stereo. I no longer have dash lights, instrument panel lights, or console shifter position lights. I used a Scosche adapter kit and soldered all my connections. I have a grey wire stub and a blue wire stub remaining from the factory wires that were not connected to wires running into the stereo. These two wires are powered when the headlights are turned on and have no power when they are turned off. I quite confident these wires are part of my instrument, dash, and console shifter circuit. I just don't know what they need to be wired to. Can any one help?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

First check to see if your parking lights and tail lights still work; these are often on the same circuit as the instrument cluster lights.

If not, test the fuse marked "TAIL" just behind the battery in the engine compartment.

You do have the dimmer wheel turned up to brightness, right, and not "off" ?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:29 PM

2004 Frontier

Yes, tail lights work. Instrument/dash light dimmer switch in full bright position. My son was experiencing a problem with the truck blowing the tail light fuse. I removed the clip on trailer light wiring harness and insured that all points where the harness was clipped into were not broken and reinsulated (coated and taped). I haven't experienced any more fuse problems with the tailights. I'm pretty sure my problem is the two hot wires in the in the stereo harness that are not connected to anything now since my stereo has its own illumination. Those two wires (one gray and one blue) should feed back into the harness somewhere to supply power to the instrument panel, ac controls, and console shifter indicators. I'm sure it is an easy fix. Just need to jumper the two wires into the appropriate return wires from the stereo harness to continue the circuit. I just don't know which wires to jump them to.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Have you downloaded the 2004 Frontier service manuals, have do do by individual chapters?

There's either a 10-amp fuse (4-cylinder trucks) or a 15-amp fuse (6-cylinder trucks) -fuse #39 - that controls all those lighting circuits (instrument panel, ac controls, and console shifter indicators). So test that.

So where is this #39 fuse? According to the service manual, it's in the fuse/fusible link/circuit breaker box just rear of the battery. Remove cover, see that large 80-amp thing in the center? 3rd fuse rearward of that, center of the engine side.

Tags
2004, dash, frontier, light