Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
trans. fluid change? Forums > > trans. fluid change? trans. fluid change?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
2011 Frontier King Cab

Default trans. fluid change?

I want to have the trans fluid changed in my 10 frontier, 60 k miles,
my question is can I have a valveoline shop do this or should I use a stealership?the price difference is 150. Dollar s
any advice will be great ly appreciated
Old 12-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm513 View Post
I want to have the trans fluid changed in my 10 frontier, 60 k miles,
my question is can I have a valveoline shop do this or should I use a stealership?the price difference is 150. Dollar s
any advice will be great ly appreciated
KTM,

It's almost a loaded question. For me it come's down to Trust, and I trust Nissan more. However the delima come's, in the cost of Service.

So for Preventative Service's that I can do myself, I do, save money, and I know that the correct lubricant's are used in the correct amount's.

Personally I don't think doing a Power Flush is a Good Thing, unless Nissan say's that it's needed in a particular situation.

I'm assumeing that your's is an Automatic Transmission, so 1st look in your owner's manual for the correct AT Fluid. For my '13 V6 AT, it call's for NissanMatic S. So far I've been getting Nissanmatic S off of Ebay or Amazon, for a lot less than at the Dealership. There are a couple Brand's on the AT Fluid that say's good for Nissanmatic S, which I think is a Full Synthetic AT Fluid.

The drain & fill is what I do,, and it's pretty easy, but it has to be done correctly. Put a large bowl or bucket under the AT Drain Plug. Remove the Drain plug,, and catch all the fluid in the bowl or bucket. Clean the Drain Plug, and area on Pan. It's a good idea to use a New Washer on the Drain Plug, but I never have, and reinstall the Drain Plug. Measure the Fluid that has drained out,, and put that much back in the AT, useing a tapered funnel, through the Dip Stick Pipe. Put the dipstick back in, and go for a drive; about 10 mile's round trip at moderate speed(about 55mph). On Level Level Ground, shut the engine off, and remove the dipstick bolt. While Parked, Crank the motor back up, and move the gear selector through all the gear's, and return to Park position, Leave the motor running and check the AT Dipstick useing the Hot Range, and adjust the AT Fluid Level to be within the Full range on the dipstick. The Low and Full range on my Dipstick is "One Pint", so be careful when adding or takeing any out any auto transmission fluid.

Check for Leak's at the Drain Plug.

Doing it yourself,, you know that you've used the correct AT Fluid, that the AT Fluid is at the correct level, and you've saved yourself money that you can leave in the Bank or Take the Family out to Dinner.

Down Load the Service Manual for Your Truck( It explain's the procedure step by step), & Adhere to the Maintenance Schedule in the Maintenance Guide Booklet & Owner's Manual.

HTH & Good Luck

Last edited by JRJoe; 12-17-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Valvoline shop should be fine. See if you can watch; if they say "insurance rules", that's total B.S. !!!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Do it yourself and it'll cost you about $20. Walmart, Autozone and Advance Auto Parts sell Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a 1-gal. jug, which works great in Nissan-matic Type "J" and "S" applications. Last time I got it at Walmart for $17.50. I have two Pathfinders with the Nissan 5-speed AT and have had no issues in the 4+ years I've been using Maxlife ATF. FYI, the drain plug gasket is Nissan #: 11026-01M02. You can search that number on Ebay and get backs of them in quantities of 10, 20, 30, etc. They are also the same washer used on the engine oil pan drain plug. The trans typically dumps 4-quarts or slightly less when draining, so the 1-gallon jug is perfect!

Tags
change, fluid, trans