Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2010 stalls, runs rough Forums > > 2010 stalls, runs rough 2010 stalls, runs rough
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 AM
2010 Frontier King Cab

Default 2010 stalls, runs rough

My 2010 2.5 automatic quit in the middle of a busy
intersection today, $150 tow home, and after an hour of
internet searching, I'm starting to think ECU relay. It
quit at first, tried cranking many times, it would act
like a partially clogged fuel filter- run rough, not rev
up. Towed it home, and it started, would run rough for a
little, quit, run halfway decent, then stall. No codes or
engine light. Sounds like the earlier models symptoms of
a bad ECU relay. I would like to confirm by swapping
relays as shown for the earlier models, but cannot find a
diagram showing exact location of ECU relay for my model. My IPDM looks like the one on the right in the attached image, all the relays are labeled, and none are ECU(ECM).
Can anyone point me to a diagram showing which relay is for the
ECU for my 2010? Is there one? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
2010 stalls, runs rough-newipdm-png  

Last edited by sundug; 09-04-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It sounds more like a cam position sensor or crank position sensor malfunction, which isn't uncommon. They will cause the ignition to cut out as it heats up and can start working as it cools down, sometimes not triggering a trouble code. The earlier ECM relay issues were caused by a poorly constructed relay, which was later corrected. Wish I could help on the relay location; I wouldn't be surprised if they built it into the IPDM. You may be able to download the "EC" chapter of the service manual from the knowledge base at the site, which should have the info.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM
2010 Frontier King Cab

Default Sensors

OK, I will look into both of those sensors. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 AM
2010 Frontier King Cab

Smile Fixed it!

After replacing the crank position sensor and getting no change, I was contemplating putting the good crank sensor I removed in place of the cam sensor. Instead I went back thru the suggestions and decided to check the mass air flow meter. It looked fine until I looked down inside it, there was a small lump, about the size of a match head, of dust bunny/mouse nest inside the sensor! I bought the truck with 30k on it, when I went to check the air filter, someone had not fit the filter in well and the bottom middle was warped up. I rarely use the truck and kept in in my barn. Mice had built a nest in the intake tube, I thought I cleaned it all out, but apparently there was a speck left. I covered the open end of the intake with 1/4" hardware cloth to prevent further nest building there, but they are building nests in the cabin air filter. I just blew air into the MAF and it now runs fine. I am so glad I didn't try and change the cam sensor, it looks like a tuff one, the crank sensor was bad enuf! Doug

Tags
2010, rough, runs, stalls