Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
4WD inner drive axle boots and power loss Forums > > 4WD inner drive axle boots and power loss 4WD inner drive axle boots and power loss
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Default 4WD power loss and steering rack bellows

1998 4WD Pathfinder, VG-33 6-cylinder

OK, I ordered a distributor online $84 shipped, 10 year warranty, to deal with a bad coil diagnosis. I installed that Saturday, got the timing within specifications, drove it 100 miles down to Phoenix today. There are some hills on I-17, not as steep as those going all the way to Flagstaff, but with the overdrive button "off", had no trouble at all going up the Interstate hills at 82 mph, cruise control never fell in mph either. It actually ran pretty well, more power than my two 4-cylinder Frontiers. So maybe the distributor was the culprit all along, does that make sense.

Anyway, the test will be when daughter returns to Flagstaff in it in a few weeks.

Its front inner drive axle boots are torn. It doesn't look like there are split boots available for the inner end of the front drive axles for that 1998 4WD Pathfinder. If anybody can find such, I'd appreciate a source/link. Dorman has split boots for the outers.

Also posting in Pathfinder Forum

Last edited by Cusser; 05-11-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
[B]Its front inner drive axle boots are torn.

OK, the Cuss made a mistake !!! Hey, I'm old !!! It was the bellows for the rack and pinion. I ordered new bellows from O'Reilly, got them same-day and installed them today. Yeah, the tie rod ends need to be pulled (used the remove gear-type puller I bought at AutoZone a few years ago after borrowing it a bunch, worked great) but I marked the tie rod ends with paint so alignment shouldn't be needed. The toughest part was pulling the boots over the inner part, slippery little devils !!!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
1998 4WD Pathfinder, VG-33 6-cylinder. There are some hills on I-17, not as steep as those going all the way to Flagstaff, but with the overdrive button "off", had no trouble at all going up the Interstate hills at 82 mph, cruise control never fell in mph either. It actually ran pretty well, more power than my two 4-cylinder Frontiers. So maybe the distributor was the culprit all along, does that make sense.

Anyway, the test will be when daughter returns to Flagstaff in it in a few weeks.

Daughter drove the Pathfinder up to Flagstaff this morning, said it was way better, significantly more power than it has had in the 3 years she's owned it. So whether it was the new distributor last week, or the new wires just prior to that, I don't care. Maybe her gas mileage will also improve !

Tags
boots, drive, 4wd, pathfinder, split, mph, flagstaff, hills, front, distributor, power, axle, sense, make, outers, test, culprit, 4-cylinder, posting, frontiers, find, axles, end, pretty, returns