Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
PCV Valve Maintenance? Forums > > PCV Valve Maintenance? PCV Valve Maintenance?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Default PCV Valve Maintenance?

The '93 4cyl Hardbody that I had for 20 year's used a Gauze Filter inside the Air Filter Houseing for CrankCase Ventilation. I don't think that it had a separate, "PCV Valve" as such.

When I changed out the Air Filter,, I would take the Gauze out,, and clean it with Diesel Fuel,, and squeeze excess out,, and reinstall. Worked for the 20 year's that I had it,, until I got the '13 Frontier and then sold the '93.

On the '13 4.0 V6, I don't see the Gauze Filter, inside the Air Filter Houseing,, with only a reference to the PCV Valve,, which is behind the Intake Manifold.

The Maintenance Schedule,, doesn't say anything about Cleaning or Replaceing the PCV Valve. Sort of like there is no mention to Check and Clean the Air Vent on the Rear Axle, but I've known for a long time to do that, starting with the '93 Hardbody,, that had the same type of Air Vent on the Rear Axle, as the '13 Frontier.

So My question is; how often in Mileage, should the PCV Valve be change out? Maybe it should be changed out, when the Plug's are changed out @ 105K Mile's, since for that service, the Service Manual's instruction's are to remove the Intake Manifold Cover, which I'm assumeing, would make it easier to access the PCV Valve?

Thanks,

Last edited by JRJoe; 04-06-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJoe View Post

So My question is; how often in Mileage, should the PCV Valve be change out? Maybe it should be changed out, when the Plug's are changed out @ 105K Mile's, since for that service, the Service Manual's instruction's are to remove the Intake Manifold Cover, which I'm assumeing, would make it easier to access the PCV Valve?
Thanks,
The life cycle of PCV valve is about 75k miles. But if the car is well maintained, that is, regular oil change, air filter change, change plugs, etc., you can squeezed 15-20k miles. I replaced mine at 90K miles even tho it had no issue. It had a very clear rattle and no sign of clogging. Besides it is inexpensive.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Thanks Benny,

I wonder why Nissan didn't put this in the Prescribed Maintenance Schedule. As well as checking the Rear Axle Vent. Reading about many that have had Rear Axle Seal leak's,, I checked the Vent Early on. Mine was clear as a bell though. It's probably those that Drive their Truck's in the Mud and Muddy Water, without a Clue of what's going on underneath. Up in Snow Country,, I can see it happening as well,, cause I'm sure that the Snow on the Road's can get to be pretty nasty stuff, and clog up the Axle Vent.

Have you ever replaced the PCV Valve on a Gen. 2 V6 Frontier? Any tip's before hand.

It'll be a while before I get to the Mileage,, but just wondering ahead of time.

I like doing as much of the Preventative Maintenance on mine as I can. It's a lot of Fun, as long as I don't break anything doing it.

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I personally have not done it on your vehicle type. You might want to search on youtube.
Doing preventive maintenance is cost effective in the long run. You are not in a rush so you can buy parts online and install at your own pace.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I personally have not done it on your vehicle type. You might want to search on youtube.
Doing preventive maintenance is cost effective in the long run. You are not in a rush so you can buy parts online and install at your own pace.

Tags
pcv, valve, air, filter, changed, gauze, service, manifold, clean, question, axle, rear, vent, intake, inside, years, maintenance, hardbody, houseing, mileage, excess, squeeze, fuel, plugs, change