Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'01 Frontier idles rough when warm Forums > > '01 Frontier idles rough when warm '01 Frontier idles rough when warm
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab
2004 Quest

Default '01 Frontier idles rough when warm

My Frontier has 170K miles. When starting for the first time of the day, it runs and idles great. If I am running errands or drive for a little while then turn off the engine to go into a store, when I start the truck after it is warm it idles very rough for a few minutes. If I start to drive away while it is still idling rough, the SES light starts to blink. My water temp gauge had also been fluctuating wildly while driving. I replaced the water temp sensor which fixed the fluctuating readings, and changed the spark plugs and wires. Truck still has rough idle issues after starting when warm. Is there some type of sensor that may be faulty causing a fuel/O2 mixture issue or something? Never had this issue until recently. Have owned vehicle since new.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
My Frontier has 170K miles. When starting for the first time of the day, it runs and idles great. If I am running errands or drive for a little while then turn off the engine to go into a store, when I start the truck after it is warm it idles very rough for a few minutes. If I start to drive away while it is still idling rough, the SES light starts to blink. My water temp gauge had also been fluctuating wildly while driving. I replaced the water temp sensor which fixed the fluctuating readings, and changed the spark plugs and wires. Truck still has rough idle issues after starting when warm. Is there some type of sensor that may be faulty causing a fuel/O2 mixture issue or something? Never had this issue until recently. Have owned vehicle since new.
Kevin,

Several thing's can cause a Rough Idle.

If it were my Truck,, I would go through the suggested preventative maintenance in the Owner's Manual or Maintenance Schedule. Look for thing's that they say to Replace,, and if there is one or more item's that need to be checked or replaced. These are thing's that need to be done anyway,, so it's not money wasted, IMO.

Here's the symptom's of a Bad Oxygen Sensor. When I had my '93 Hardbody, I remember replaceing the Oxygen sensor, when the Manual said to do it. I copied this from a Google Search on Bad Oxygen Sensor Symptom's:

"A bad oxygen sensor will lead to an air to fuel ratio that is either too lean or too rich which in turn causes an over consumption of fuel by your vehicle’s internal combustion engine. Finally, your engine may show some faulty oxygen sensor symptoms. Some common engine O2 sensor symptoms that you can experience are a rough engine idle, a misfiring engine, or an engine that hesitates or stumbles when attempting to accelerate."

One of the First thing's that I do,, if I know, that I've done all of the Suggested Maintenance is; Pour in a container of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner, Water Removal Stuff. A dirty Fuel Injector, can cause the engine to run rough.

The '93 2.4 4 cyl Hardbody Purchased New, was still idleing/running smooth when I sold it in '13 with 176K miles. Basically all that I did on that Truck was Preventative Maintenance, except replaceing the water pump @ 174K mile's.

Good Luck,
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
If I start to drive away while it is still idling rough, the SES light starts to blink. Changed the spark plugs and wires. Truck still has rough idle issues after starting when warm.
O2 sensors will not cause a rough idle but will trigger a code for either too lean or too rich. You have possible intake air leak, vacuum leak, so inspect your hoses for crack or damage. Your rotor could be worn. Open distributor cap and inspect for crack or damage and look for burnt residue which could mean spark is leaking.

You mentioned SES light was blinking so scan ECM for trouble code(s).
Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab
2004 Quest

The code is for misfire.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab
2004 Quest

If the O2 sensor was bad, would I get a code for a bad sensor?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Please post the misfire code(s). At the bottom of each page is link to Engines-Codes.com. Enter your trouble code to get the definition. Possible causes and fixes.

If O2 sensor is bad (slow in response cuz its carbon up or just old age) the ECM will trigger a code. The life cycle of O2 sensor is about 100k miles. I replaced mine at 90k miles as part of preventive maintenance.

Tags
frontier, idles, rough, warm