Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Misfire Cyl 4 PO304 code 2002 6cyl Forums > > Misfire Cyl 4 PO304 code 2002 6cyl Misfire Cyl 4 PO304 code 2002 6cyl
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 08:10 AM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

Question Misfire Cyl 4 PO304 code 2002 6cyl

Yes guys I have done my research on this problem but I am not the type of person that just starts throwing parts at something that will not stay broken so that is why I am making this post.

For a while now but not all the time after I start it up and while it is warming up there might be like a little miss and you can see it on the tach and feel it a little. After 3 to 5 miles all is good and might do it in a few days and might not? That has been going on for a year I think?

Now I noticed like a few weeks ago it really started running bad and the check engine light would flash and sometime it would stay on but it would clear its self and run great. That could last 3 to 5 miles or even less? It could do that once or more a week. But always happened not long after I would get on the hwy most of the time. I did get it back to the house this last go around while the light was on to pull the code. It was most likely already in the pending codes I would bet? As I said it keeps fixing its self.

Truck has 114,000 on it with org plugs and wires. Nothing has ever been replace under the hood except for an AC hose.
I hate to say it but have also only run reg gas in it for most of its life. In Oct I did run 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the tank going to the beach and then the other half on the way back a week later. But have not put it into the vacuum line to clean the top end of the motor yet. Might be worth a try?

With me being 69 and have been working on my own cars from the age of 13 I am used to stuff by golly staying broke so you can chase down the problem but it will not stay broke but it could any day I guess?

The only thing that I can even think of might be the #4 injector and not the wire or the plug. I have not looked to see how hard it will be to get to that one and what I will have to do to replace it or clean it? But I ask myself why just one? Yep I am an old carb guy even though we have newer cars with all this mess on them I have not ever had to deal with anything except coil packs on a Jeep and a Caddy.

Ok that all I can say and hope one of you can advise me better unless I am on the right track with the one injector?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Plug's are supposed to be replaced @ 105K mile's.

Read up on how to read a Spark Plug.

http://ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppor...qs/faqread.asp

Label each plug,, and compare.

Reading the Plug/Plug's, may very well tell you what is going on.

I suspect plug fouling,, but the plug may be worn out.

Good Luck

Last edited by JRJoe; 03-06-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:08 PM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJoe View Post
Plug's are supposed to be replaced @ 105K mile's.

Read up on how to read a Spark Plug.

Label each plug,, and compare.

Reading the Plug/Plug's, may very well tell you what is going on.

I suspect plug fouling,, but the plug may be worn out.

Good Luck

At my age I know how to read plugs for sure and was even thinking of buying a new one but heck might as well buy all new and done with it. Weather will start getting a little better in the next few days so I will just get new plugs so I am at least ready after I see that one plug. If unsure of what I see I will swap it with another one and see what happens. I will do that just for info and if I get a code and it is the other cyl then case is closed and I can update my post and maybe help someone out latter.

Thanks for your reply
Old 03-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Yep, time to replace them all. And see what they all look like.

If plug's all look good then your truck has new plug's,, as the Maintenance Schedule say's to do. And internal problem's ruled out as well.

If it were mine,, I would take out #4 and #2 to see what they looked like,, and to write down the OE Plug Spec's, to get the exact plug replacement.

With that info,, you can see what the price diff. is for Nissan Part's, O'Rielly's, Ebay, and Amazon, for the exact same plug.

If you get off of Ebay or Amazon,, make sure you read the description carefully, to make sure it is the exact same plug,, as well as being New, versus Used.

I get a lot of OE stuff off of Ebay and Amazon,, but Scammer's are everywhere. I've seen the TPMS Sensor's Sold as Used and New. Doesn't make good sense to buy a Used TPMS Sensor,, because of Unkown Age, etc.

The OE plug's aren't Cheap,, but Some sell them a lot cheaper than other's, for the exact same plug.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Changing the #6 spark plug will be a little challenging. I did this at age 60 on my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder with the V6 engine. Read up on that (do a Search on Clubfrontier.org), have a couple of 3-inch extensions, flashlight, all 6 took me like 1.25 hours. In reality, toughest part was probably getting the connectors off.

Tags
2002, 6cyl, code, cyl, misfire, po304