Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Gas tank cap reversed problem Forums > > Gas tank cap reversed problem Gas tank cap reversed problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 PM
2007 Murano
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Gas tank cap reversed problem

Hi,

I have 2001 Frontier Crew cab SE with VG33 engine. Couple of days ago I suspected my gas cap leaking and got new one from the dealer. After new cap installation “Check Engine” light came on with P0510 – Closed TPswitch and P0325 – Knock sensor codes. I installed old cap back and 60 miles later light went off.

What might be the problem?

TIA
Old 01-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunia View Post
Hi,

I have 2001 Frontier Crew cab SE with VG33 engine. Couple of days ago I suspected my gas cap leaking and got new one from the dealer. After new cap installation “Check Engine” light came on with P0510 – Closed TPswitch and P0325 – Knock sensor codes. I installed old cap back and 60 miles later light went off.

TIA
Why did you suspect old cap was leaking?

Had the old cap ever been cross treaded in the tank neck?

Maybe you need to take it back to Nissan for them to trouble shoot it.

A locking Gas Cap,, is a good preventative investment. First thing that I put on my Truck.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunia View Post
Hi,

TIA
I can't see how a gas cap and the codes are related to each other. Had you pulled evaporative emission codes, it would make sense, but not throttle switch and knock sensor codes.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 AM
2007 Murano
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Thank you for the reply, JRJoe

<<Why did you suspect old cap was leaking?
Had the old cap ever been cross treaded in the tank neck?>>

There was very soft click when I tight the cap. About maybe 1/5 of the force you apply to the new cap. Never could say if it is good seal or not. Usually when cap is unscrewed you can hear "pff" as pressure relives from the tank... not in my case.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM
2007 Murano
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

I am puzzled too
Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Well, If it were mine,, I would look underneath to see of any of the hose's running from the Tank were Split, Cracked, Disconnected, etc.

With the '93 as well as the '13,, both haveing Stant locking gas cap's, I did and do hear the Gas pressure releaseing sound when I remove the tank cap, most of the time,, but not all of the time.

If I recall,, it usually depended on how empty the tank was or maybe even the air temperature.

If the loose gas cap light wasn't coming on,, or I didn't see any sign's of gas leakeage, I don't think that I personally would want to change cap's, other than to get a locking gas cap.

Several Nissan People told me that a locking gas cap wouldn't work on my '13,, so I was pleasantly surprised,, and glad that I haven't had any problem's or light's to come on.

14 year's would be long enough for Rubber line's to start cracking and/or dry rotting. So that's why I would look underneath at the hose's.

Hopefully a good inspection will find something easy to fix,, like a cracked or disconnected hose somewhere Vacuum or Evaporative control system.

SMJ, know's way more than I do about this stuff, so maybe he'll have another suggestion.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2015, 05:26 PM
2007 Murano
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Thank you JRJoe,

I will check hosed later this week and post.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 AM
2007 Murano
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Well, I think problem just solved itself.
I checked all hoses for any leaks, but couldn’t find any. After that I took gas cap completely off the tank. Day later 2 codes came up: P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected and P0325 - Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
I installed new cap and codes went away. Now I am on third tank of gas and Check Engine light not coming back.
Want to thank everybody for suggestions!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Glad you got it going. Probably computer hung up, I guess.

Thanks for letting us know.

Good Luck

Tags
cap, gas, problem, reversed, tank