Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Frontier tailgate cable broke right off Forums > > Frontier tailgate cable broke right off Frontier tailgate cable broke right off
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default Frontier tailgate cable broke right off

1999 Frontier 230,000km in Canada drivers side tailgate support cable rusted right through. Rust hidden under protective plastic cover. Just opened tailgate today and shredded wire cable separated right out of plastic cover.
2 300+ lb guys sit on tailgate many times at coffee break good thing not this time. Wow lucky could have been very costly.
Truck body has no visible rust.
Maybe these cables should be replaced proactively in salty winter locations for safety sake.
My old 1987 hard body truck solid steel tailgate supports never had a problem in 375,000kms was a much better design.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I remember replacing tailgate cables on Chevy S-10's as part of a recall. They definitely aren't as strong or durable as the metal links used on the Hardbodies, but I would imaging they are lighter and cheaper to make, which would explain why they use them.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

I agree, that the Tailgate linkage on the '93 hardbody that I had,, was much stronger,, and never gave me any trouble in the 20 year's that I had it.

On the '13 Frontier that I have now, I really wonder about those cable support's.

If anybody ever put's out a stronger linkage,, then I'll probably buy it.

The tailgate is pretty heavy on my '13 too, so one would think that they would have stronger Tailgate Support's, IMO.

Overall though,, I really like my '13,, especially the power of the V6.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The VQ40DE is a really good engine. They had some problems with the upper timing chains wearing through the tensioner pads, but that was straightened out after 2010. Even in a load like my R51 Pathfinder, it has plenty of power to get out of its own way. A lot of the Frontier and Xterra guys seem to like the XTP intake spacer for a little more "oomph":

Nissan Products | eXtreme Truck Performance – XTP IMS intake manifold spacers for Nissan, Toyota & Suzuki with 4.0 engines for performance gains!

Tags
broke, cable, frontier, tailgate