Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Bench bleed master cylinder Forums > > Bench bleed master cylinder Bench bleed master cylinder
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima
2007 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Bench bleed master cylinder

My 2007 Frontier has 120,000 miles. The Brake pedal has been getting spongy and longer pedal travel over past 3 months.
There is no leaks and the master cylinder fluid level has remained stable. Front pads and roters replaced 15,000 miles prior.
Replaced rear brakes and roters after 20,000 because the rotors corroded and and destroyed the brake pads thinking this would repair problem. No change in brake pedal.
I did the bleed procedure per the service manual. There was no air in the system. All flexible hoses seem solid.

Purchased master cylinder and calls for bench bleeding before installation. I referred to service manual for the procedure but it did not cover bench bleeding of the master cylinder.
Pointers on the installation of the master cylinder will be appreciated.
Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks, Chuck E.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 PM
G47

you can bleed the system normally, as long as you are bleeding the brakes the proper way
Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima
2007 Frontier Crew Cab

G47,
Thanks, I just figured out the four tubes and nipples that were included with the master cylinder are used for bench bleeding. I will followup the master cylinder installation with the wheel bleeding procedure in the service manual and do each wheel in the proper sequence.

Hopefully this will solve the excessive pedal travel and sponginess. I will post my results on completion. I should get to the job this weekend.
Thanks agian, Chuck E.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Fit those lines into a little jar containing some clean brake fluid. When you push in on the brake cylinder piston, air will come out the tubes and clean brake fluid gets sucked back into the cylinder. Keep doing this, gets most of the air out of the new MC.

Then bleed all four once installed. Remember to screw in fittings by hand a few turns to eliminate chance of crossthreading, and final tightening with a metric flare/line wrench.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Sequence: right rear, left front, left rear, right front. I usually repeat this cycle at least twice.

Tags
bench, bench bleed, bleed, cylinder, master, master cylinder