Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Parts for timing chain noise replacement Forums > > Parts for timing chain noise replacement Parts for timing chain noise replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Parts for timing chain noise replacement

I'm about to tackle the whine noise that comes from the secondary timing chain. What parts has everyone been replacing? I know what the TSB says but should more parts be replaced while you have everything taken apart?

I'm thinking the primary chain, both secondary chains, all three tensioners and shoes, all three guide rails, water pump w/ seals, thermostat and gasket, and valve cover gasket.

Any other gaskets, seals or parts I should be looking to replace? I don't want to go over board but at the same time I don't want to overlook something that may go out soon since I'm at 120k miles
Old 02-25-2014, 04:18 PM
2015 Rogue

I would at least do the guide on the tensioner side of the main timing chain. You don't have to remove the valve covers to do the job so if they are not leaking I wouldn't do them.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Unless you have problems with the areas you're targeting, just do the 3 chains, [the tensioners are really expensive and I would not replace them just do the shoes] & (the pri chain probably isn't too bad but they do stretch after lots of miles) the seal on the front timing cover (crank seal) and possibly the slack side tensioner shoe on the primary chain tensioner need attention. I also replaced the little coolant hose that goes through the timing cover since it's a real PITA to get at with the engine assembled fully.

I have 248K miles on my engine and i still havent replaced the WP or thermostat. (the factory ones are very durable)

Last edited by jlg2002; 03-04-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Tags
chain, noise, parts, replacement, timing