Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 King Cab - Key won't turn in ignition? Forums > > 2000 King Cab - Key won't turn in ignition? 2000 King Cab - Key won't turn in ignition?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM
2000 Frontier

Default 2000 King Cab - Key won't turn in ignition?

All of a sudden, the key won't turn in the ignition. It unlocks the door, but when I try to start the truck it feels like it's the wrong key. I tried another key, and it is the same problem. The key slips in and out easily. Wiggling the steering wheel does not help.

Any ideas? This was a sudden change, hasn't given any problems in the past. We're all the way up to 20F after a spell of below zero weather.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 PM
2000 Frontier Crew Cab
2000 Frontier

One of my original keys won't start the truck anymore. It's just too worn out. But if your keys look good then it's something else.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
2000 Frontier King Cab

Could it be temperature related? Can you hang a incandescent (60-100 watt bulb) trouble light next to the ignition switch so it warms up the mechanism? I'd give it 30 minutes or more. If that doesn't help then you may have to replace the ignition switch.

BTW: I know you said wiggling the steering wheel doesn't help but sometimes you need to pull the steering wheel left or right and hold it to relieve torque on the switch mechanism from the front wheels being turned off center when you stopped the vehicle.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM
2015 Rogue

You can try tapping on the face of the lock with a hammer. Don't hit it hard enough to break it. The tumblers get stuck sometimes as they wear or the springs can become weak. I have seen this on quite a few of the older Nissans. You can usually get them working at least temporarily but eventually you will need to replace the lock.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
2000 Frontier

Default Follow Up to Original Post

Sorry I never followed through. After trying a lot of stuff gleaned from the world wide web of wisdom (jack up the front and wiggle the tires, try turning the key HARD, fiddle with the gear shifter while simultaneously trying to turn the key, and more) we finally tried one that worked -- spray brake cleaner in the key slot and let it drip out. We did this with much enthusiasm and caught the grunky drips. And, the key turned!! After we got it home, we sprayed some kind of lubricant (not WD-40, I think it was some kind of silicone or graphite stuff) in the key slot and have not had a hint of trouble (with this problem anyway) since.

Tags
2000, cab, ignition, key, king, turn