Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
flashing air bag light Forums > > flashing air bag light flashing air bag light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default flashing air bag light

My air bag light began flashing yesterday on my 1999 Frontier 4WD King Cab. I know nothing about airbags and it seems there are parts in there I had never heard of, specifically "airbag clock spring". I have tried a couple of "on and off" techniques that did not work for my scenario. The horn works properly and cruise control also works. Those are the only controls on the steering wheel.

My mechanic is marvelous and honest, but is back upped currently because of an ill partner which means it will be a while before a scanning device will be hooked up to the truck. The truck has over 207,000 miles, but has been meticulously maintained by these two men; I am picky about my vehicles.

Any suggestions?

I thank you in advance.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

While you are waiting for the shop to free up, you could disconnect the negative battery terminal and then find the seat sensor plugs under the seat and disconnect and reconnect them than reconnect the battery terminal and see if it helped. Other than this you're down to a code read to go further.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I will try this tomorrow and I thank you. My hope is that is not a air bag clock spring; they are pricey.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If it is a steady flashing where all the flashes are similarly timed, the the air bag control unit is in present diagnostic mode. There is a manual method to enter the diagnostic mode by pressing the driver's door lamp switch a number of times after turning the ignition switch to "on." Sometimes doing this works, sometimes it doesn't. It's best to get a scantool and retrieve the stored code. If the stored code is "control unit," then the air bag control unit is bad and will need to be replaced (and it is expensive, like most parts of the air bag system). If the time intervals of the flashes are not all the same, it is actually displaying the trouble code via the number of flashes. If you know how to read the flashes, then you can use a Nissan service manual to decipher the code. Once the code is read, then the appropriate diagnostic steps can be made to isolate the problem. Nissan did have a lot of problems with the air bag control units in the mid to late 90's, so don't be surprised if that's the problem.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Can I buy a used air bag? By that I mean not a bag that has deployed, but one on a no longer functioning vehicle.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I tried the procedure offered by smj999smj, that of pushing the overhead light switch in the door With the key on and the light flashing, the flashes got slower. I turned of the switch, turned it back on and the truck started. No more flashing light. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I will print them all for future reference. Who would have thought that simple procedure would work; let's hope it is a permanent fix. Thank again!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I spoke too soon. The flashing resumed while; I repeated the procedure and the light went out again; I am confused.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 frontier kingcb xe

I'll save him the trouble...

Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else on the forum)... I tried it and it works.

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

MODS - CAN WE MAKE THIS A STICKY????? LOL GIVE THIS A TRY
Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 frontier kingcb xe

OR maybe this 1 I have an 03 the above worked on:I found a different method for my 2000...

1. Turn the key to the "ON" position.

2. Press the driver side door plunger 5 times (once per second), before the airbag light starts to blink.

3. Turn the key to "OFF".

It took me 3 or 4 tries before I got the timing right
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 frontier kingcb xe

bless you, the dealer said I needed and airbag.....^$^@@!%&. Thanks a ton.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 frontier kingcb xe

I just hope 1 of these work for u garland
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

The driver side door plunger "method" has worked twice, but the flashing resumes within a day or two. That is what is confusing. I am scheduled for service on Thursday and my marvelous Nissan guy will plug it up to a scanner; he is the best I have ever seen. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

It seems the wiring harness for the passenger air bag got caught up in the dash pocket; it seems these wiring harnesses are sensitive. My mechanic John Morgan tied the harness to a spot that would get it out of the way of the dash pocket and used the door switch method to re-set the flashing light. Problem solved and the only parts were three plastic zip ties.

My attempts using the door switch method were only temporary because the source, the entangled wiring harness, was not addressed. I hope this helps someone else out there.

Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:39 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 frontier kingcb xe

Thanks for responding and giving us the outcome.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default Curious

I finally removed the mapbox(6 screws), wiggled the air bag wires, replaced the box then the side door method finally worked.