Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replacing catalytic converter: 2002 Frontier King Cab XE Forums > > Replacing catalytic converter: 2002 Frontier King Cab XE Replacing catalytic converter: 2002 Frontier King Cab XE
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
2002 Frontier King Cab

Default Replacing catalytic converter: 2002 Frontier King Cab XE

I'm looking for a 'how to manual' to replace my catalytic converter in my 2002 Nissan Frontier. I couldn't find it in any of the manuals on this website. I've also found multiple sites with universal catalytic converters for around $160-200 price range.
Firestone quoted me at $1000 for 2 O2 senors, and one catalytic converter (my truck has two but I guess they are putting in a whole assembly) with labor at $91 total.

Price quoted:
O2 senors $160/each
Direct fit catalytic converter $520.99
Labor $91.80
Total: $1,013.57

They are going to put in a direct fit converter (whole assembly). He said it was easy to replace.

I feel like I can do this job myself but I need a starting point, directions, parts to order and from where.

Thank you so much for any assistance you might have.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

You sound like you have the V6 engine. I have the 4-cylinder engine, 1998. I bought a catalytic converter to replace mine that was unbolted and stolen, for like $130 from an Ebay retailer, Eastern Catalytic. I had to buy 2 new gaskets if I remember correctly, for $2 each. It took about 6 minutes to bolt that onto my truck.

Get under your truck and take a look. Yours may have two that bolt on. I'd at least look at that option, or at a dedicated muffler shop.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

I would be surprised if a XE model has a V6 but you need to know one way or the either. (For a V6 there are 4 cats 2 per side). Regardless, there are 2 cats in a I4 truck. A fwd one right next to the exhaust manifold(EM) (it is sometimes called a TWC) and sensor #1 is there attached to the EM. You also have a rear cat under the truck and it is considered part of the exhaust system. There is sensor #2 just forward of this cat. You need to ask the Firestone folks which cat they were going to to change. $1000 seems kind of expensive and I know you can buy 49 state Cats (CA will not allow 49 state replacement cats on CA registered vehicles) for around 150 to 300 bucks and O2 sensors for less than $100 or so on the internet.
A V6 installation will be more difficult and you may wish to get a quote from a muffler shop instead of Firestone.
For the I4 engine, replacement of the front cat is pretty easy if you have hand tools and a way to jack up the front of the Truck