Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 Frontier Help/Advice Please!! Forums > > 1999 Frontier Help/Advice Please!! 1999 Frontier Help/Advice Please!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default 1999 Frontier Help/Advice Please!!

I have a 99 Frontier 4x4 3.3L that always ran great till the other day just after it rolled over 294,000 miles. While driving down the Interstate it started to pick up a skip that qot worse fast. Within a few miles the engine began to loose power till it died within a few miles. Towed home and it had 3 codes. Camshaft pos sensor, crank pos sensor and knock sensor. Replaced fuel filter, checked plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor. It was getting fire and fuel. Noticed lots of metal shavings in distributor and found bearing was bad and replaced with new dist with new coil and cam pos sensor. Thinking it was fixed, I cleared the codes and fired it up and it ran great... for about 4 minutes then it shut off and would not restart. After letting it sit overnight, I tried to restart it this morning and it would not start. Waited about 5 minutes and it fired up as soon as I hit the starter and ran great again for about 2 minutes then died. Would not restart.
After talking with a mechanic, he said replace the crankshaft position sensor and it would fix it. Well I changed it, (that's a fun job) and it still would not start. Waited a few minutes and tried again and it started. I kept it revved up a little above idle and it was running smooth then died again after a couple of minutes. It will not restart. Have since been told that I could have a ECU/computer problem???
Does this sound correct or what do yall recommend I try or do next?
Thanks for any help or advice you can send my way.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Sounds like a bad distributor, and that's probably my first guess. Since you have already replace it the next step is to check the timing belt. When was the last time you replace it? you could try removing the distributor cap and check is the rotor is turning.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

It has been 75,000 since the last belt replacement. I suspected the belt but when it does crank and run it runs great. Is there a way to check it without tearing it apart?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg View Post
Is there a way to check it without tearing it apart?
No way to check the timing belt without taking the covers apart, but try removing the distributor cap and crank the engine.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I re-checked the dist and it's spinning and still getting spark.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

Sounds like the egi relay is bad try swapping it with another
Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Can you provide me anymore info on this EGI relay? Location?
I checked the timing belt in it was in good condition and all timing marks lined up at #1 TDC. Went ahead and replaced fuel pump after I unhooked the pressure line and turned the ign switch on it seemed to have poor pressure. Pumped for approx 3 seconds before shutting off. It only pumped about 8 oz of fuel.
This thing is hard to start but when it does run it idles smooth at 775 RPM. I did notice that the idle would slightly begin to rise and fall everynow and then. It will run for approx 4 to 5 minutes before it will stall.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Might should look at fuel sending unit. Had similar problem couple weeks ago. Directed same road as you. Factory recall for this and gas tank also headlights and tail lights. Look at Tmjenkins forum yours sound a lot like mine. Good luck!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM
1999 Frontier King Cab

I have been looking at your post also Tm. I took mine to the dealer for a diagnosis and to check the recall for sending unit. They said it was good and my timing belt jumped timing. I checked the belt and it was good. All timing marks lined up at #1 TDC. I highly doubt they even checked for the recall since I removed the bed to change fuel pump and there were no trace that anyone hed been messing around back there. The top of the tank and sending unit assy were still covered in dirt, dried mud and dust.

What's the recall for head and tail lights?

Glad you're up and running.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Bulbs falling out is recall. Look at necks of plug ins on top of fuel sending unit if u see a crack and green corrosion of the copper strip goin down into tank that's your problem. Replacing tank and fuel pump if lots of rust on them. Had people say ecu($980) , pump relay, ECM, throttle and crank position sensors. Make sure to get right fsu if your truck has low level light in dash.

Tags
1999, frontier, help or advice