Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 pickup charging issue Forums > > 97 pickup charging issue 97 pickup charging issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 PM
2015 Rogue

Default 97 pickup charging issue

I am working on a 97 pickup 4 cyl. So far the truck has gone through 4 alternators in a month. The customer replaced two and I replaced one with an oem part. The truck is back at the shop again not charging. Check of the wiring is ok. 12v at both the yellow/black wire from the ignition and the white wire from the battery. Ground wire at the back of the alternator checks out ok. Cable from the battery checks ok (12v at the post on the alternator) The alternator still won't charge even if I run power to both terminals with jumper wires. The question is why do the alternators keep going bad? One odd thing that I did notice is that if I unplug the alternator and turn the key off the ignition seems to stay on. The wipers still work, turn signals, abs light on dash stays on, ses light, brake light etc. If I plug the alternator connector back in thay go off. I checked the ignition switch. It checked out ok. I even unplugged it and all the lights still stayed on. I replaced a relay and it seemed to change. Now it seems like they stay on for a few seconds after the key is turned off. What am I missing? Has anyone else run into this?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

My 2004 keeps power running for a few minutes after I shut it off and remove the key. It allows me to roll up or roll down my power windows. However, if I open one of the doors - all power is immediately dropped.

After searching back through a number of forums relating to multiple (same car) blown alternators...

1. A number of posts discussing blown alternates were traced back to the battery (even if it seems the battery is charging OK). After the battery was replaced - no more blown alternators.

2. Another post traced multiple alternator problems back to belt tension. After the belt was adjusted - no more blown alternators.

3. Another post traced multiple alternator failures back to high powered accessories (after market super duper stereo, etc.). After installing a bigger alternator - no more blown alternators.

Hope this helps.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store

Last edited by vpnavy; 04-24-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
2015 Rogue

Actually I found 2 problems. Corrosion at the negative battery cable where it connects to the cylinder head causinh high resistance and making the alternator work too hard. As far as the dash staying on, a bad relay, contacts not releasing.

Tags
charging, issue, pickup