Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
06 V6 M/T Warm Start Issue Forums > > 06 V6 M/T Warm Start Issue 06 V6 M/T Warm Start Issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 06 V6 M/T Warm Start Issue

Hi,
First time poster, long time reader.
06 Frontier V6 Manual trans 140k miles. Bought the truck 2nd/3rd hand and started having this problem a mo. after buying. The problem happens only when starting the truck when warm. The truck cranks strong and turns over but runs real rough sometimes 'bogging out' and dying or 'bogging out' then revving to about 2000 rpm and back to normal idle (~600 rpm). Truck runs fine otherwise. This only happens if truck was run to normal operating temp, shut off, then restarted after 10 minutes or so. If it were run to temp then shut off and left for an hour or more, it starts fine. Cold start is fine.
I hear the fuel pump prime, I've checked the fuses, recently changed plugs and replaced one bad coil pack. I'm thinking the truck isn't getting fuel but I don't understand the intermittent nature of the problem, why does it only happen when warm? Maybe this is an electrical problem like a bad relay? Please advise.

Last edited by hyn44; 11-26-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: readability
Old 11-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, first thing I would do is check for any stored trouble codes in the ECM (most part stores will retrieve the codes if you don't have a tool to do it) and then make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight (there have been a lot of odd problems caused by loose/poor cable connections on these vehicles). If there are no codes, sometimes crankshaft position sensors and/or camshaft position sensors can fail when they get hot but not always trigger codes. If you should replace one of these sensors, stick with genuine Nissan or Hitachi brand sensors as aftermarket sensors tend to be "iffy" as far as quality. If you can duplicate the problem for testing, I would check for spark and check fuel pressure, which is 50 PSI; you'll need a fuel pressure tester with a "T" adapter to fit between the fuel rail and hose at the front of the left bank fuel rail, as well as a quick-disconnect tool that will fit in the tight space between the hose and the rail.

Tags
issue, m/t, start, warm