Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Frontier timing chain tensioner whine Forums > > 2007 Frontier timing chain tensioner whine 2007 Frontier timing chain tensioner whine
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
2007 Frontier

Default 2007 Frontier timing chain tensioner whine

I have 83K miles on my 2007 Nissan frontier and about 5K miles ago I started noticing a high piched emgomer whine when the engine was cold. I had no clue what it was until I took it to the dealer for my latest oil change. The service manager told me that this noise is caused by worn timing chain tensioners and that I should get it fixed at the approximate cost of $1500 or I could throw a timing chain and cause engine damage.
By the way he talked this is a common problem on all V4.0 engines on Frontiers, Xterras and Pathfinders from 2005 - 2010. I also talked with one of the mechanics and he said that the new tensioners that are installed when this service is performed are of a better materiel. I came to the conclusion that Nissan has known about the problem for some time and wonder why there hasn't been a recall. Frankly I am pissed off because at 30K miles the fuel gage sensor went out and at 65 K miles I had to replace the rear differential because it leaked and the only fix Nissan had for it was to change it out. I have owned Nissans since 1985 and never seen such problems. In fact I put 300K miles on my 85 Nissan pickup with no real problems. So what is going on lately with Nissan ? This is almost like a throwback to the 1960's with the American cars when one had to rebuild ones transmission at 50K miles and the engine at 80K miles ! This just isn't right ! Now I don't know whether to run out and spend $1500 on this repair right now or if it can safely wait a while.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 AM
2015 Rogue

I have seen plenty of these with the noise. Never had one break a timing chain. You can wait to get the repair done.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default Tensioner whine

I went 80k with the whine with no reliability issues.

see attached link

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/front...40-repair.html
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

I also went quite a few miles with the whine (except mine really didn't whine so badly that is was extremely bothersome). I had over 200,000 miles on mine .
I can't see the chains breaking as they are really strongly constructed (jump a tooth maybe - break unlikely. Something for your consideration is to reduce potential collateral damage to the tensioner posts due to the eventual chain contact you may want to schedule this in the next 50,000 miles or so.

Last edited by jlg2002; 12-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Tags
2007, 2007 frontier, chain, frontier, tensioner, timing, timing chain tensioners, whine