Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 4-cyl. engine pinging Forums > > 2004 4-cyl. engine pinging 2004 4-cyl. engine pinging
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
mojolite

Default 2004 4-cyl. engine pinging

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum - but have owned 3 Frontiers. My first was a '98 4wd, the second a 2000 2wd. My current one is an '04 2wd with 40K miles. It replaces the 2000, which was totaled in a very bad accident. It did such an absolutely amazing job protecting me (I literally walked away) that I swore I'd get another. My '04 is great, with one very disappointing and frustrating exception: engine ping. I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions / solutions.

Anyways, it's a 5-spd and happens mostly in gears 3-5. Forth seems the worst. It also pings while decelerating in gear, like if I'm coasting. I pulled the plugs and they're ashy looking, which from what I know means it's running lean. I took it to the local Nissan dealer - they simply did a check for codes, found none and told me that there's nothing wrong, maybe try some higher octane. I did that BEFORE I brought it to them, as well as some STP fuel system cleaner - no difference.

Well, sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you might give. :)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

I searched the net and found the following relating to a 2001 Frontier:

"Check the timing and make sure that you have a good tuneup. Also, what is the temperature of the engine as a thermostat that is letting the engine too hot can contribute to pinging. You did say it pings on super unleaded so I would guess the two things that can cause this are the temperature and timing that is too far advanced."

Hope this helps.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 04-14-2007, 03:54 AM
2015 Rogue

has anyone checked the timing?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
mojolite

Default timing and thermostat

I haven't had anyone check the timing specifically, but will have that done next. As for the thermostat, the temp gauge always reads in the middle or even slightly cool. Would the change in the timing affect the white condition on the plugs?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolite View Post
I haven't had anyone check the timing specifically, but will have that done next. As for the thermostat, the temp gauge always reads in the middle or even slightly cool. Would the change in the timing affect the white condition on the plugs?

Thanks for your help guys!
Say, just wondering - is your Frontier SuperCharged? If it is, you have to run premium gas.

My gauge rides just a notch below the "middle" of the gauge..

On the plugs...jump over to: Road Star Clinic - Guide to Reading Spark Plug Performance and compare the condition of your plugs.

On "timing vs spark plugs" - the link above talks about that as well.

Hope this helps.

Tags
2004, 4cyl, engine, pinging