Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine swap for 2000 Xterra Forums > > Engine swap for 2000 Xterra Engine swap for 2000 Xterra
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
2000 Xterra
1997 Truck

Default Engine swap for 2000 Xterra

Good Evening,
I have 2 1997 D21 4x4 with bad frames but good engines V6 3.0, plus a 3rd V63.0 low milage engine that is already out of a D21. I am planning to buy a 2000 Xterra with a blown V6 3.3.
Is it a resonable swap to put one of the 3.0 engines in the Xterra? I would expect I need to use the ECU from the D21, but would I be into swapping out the wiring harness as well? Will it bolt directly onto the Xterra's transmission or can I swap motor and transmission as a unit?
Any advice someone can offer I would appriciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately swapping the engine is complicated. You definitely have to swap the harness, control units and sensors along with the engine. You can definitely make it work, but just keep in mind that his is a big modification and that some warning lights may stay ON all the time ant that you may have problems making the engine run well or passing smog test.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
2000 Xterra
1997 Truck

Thank-you NissanTech. The D21's I was using for plowing my yard, but the frames are getting too bad even for that. The Xterra is in great shape, minus the engine. The Xterra is just going to be used for plowing and storm day travelling.
Should I keep the D21 transmissions attached or just bolt onto the Xterra's?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Used VG33E engines aren't hard to find. IMO, it would be best to pick up a used VG33E to install in the Xterra and save the headache and avoid the loss of HP and torque that comes with the 3.0L. Just do a search on Ebay motors or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.
One of the issues I foresee will be the exhaust manifolds. You will want to use the manifolds for the 3.3L so you won't have to modify the exhaust, but the 3.3L used 10MM exhaust manifold studs versus the 3.0L's 8MM studs. It's going to be hard to keep the manifolds in place and centered unless you plan on have the 3.0L's heads drilled and tapped for 10MM studs. I believe the intake manifold swaps over, so you may be able to get away without swapping the harness and ECM. Accessory bracket holes are the same, IIRC. Not sure about the crank pulley, though. I still say stick with a 3.3L!

Also, are you sure those 2 D21's are '97's? The 96 & 97 Harbody trucks (and 98 Frontiers) were only available from the factory with the KA24 engines. 1995 was the last year for the Hardbody V6.

Last edited by smj999smj; 10-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Tags
2000, d21 or hardbody, engine, swap, xterra