Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Frontier XE Cooling system flush procedure Forums > > 2004 Frontier XE Cooling system flush procedure 2004 Frontier XE Cooling system flush procedure
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Default 2004 Frontier XE Cooling system flush procedure

Can someone tell me how to remove all coolant from the entire cooling system?

I bought this PU a month ago and had an oil change. It has the V-6 without the supercharger. I just replaced the top radiator hose that was leaking because of corrosion on the block side inlet. I was able to clean away the corrosion. I found the coolant rusty color and decided to back flush and replace all the coolant. The Prestone Back Flush Kit I bought needs a straight length of hose between the firewall and the block to tie into. The hoses in the firewall are short, go to the back of the engine, and leave no room for the water hose connector to be inserted.

The Engine Mechanical manual I just downloaded doesn't help. The forum posts only seem to discuss draining the radiator and flushing it. I need to replace the coolant in the entire cooling system. Do I drain it out of the block and heater by removing the drain plug in the side of the engine shown on the engine diagrams?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Consult the Lubrication and Cooling manual for your vehicle. When I replaced my coolant I had no issues like overheating or contamination. I did not bother to do a complete drain. I figured I buy another gal. of coolant and drained after I fill. There's only about at the max. 1.5 Qt. left. After a couple of days you can drain half a gal. and fill should make the coolant almost 100% new. If I have contamination yes, and do a flush also.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Default Flush procedure

Ok. Do I have to buy the manual to get the procedure to flush the cooling system. I know I need to flush it. I just don't know how, since I cannot use the Prestone Kit.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Free limited download with your registration. If Subscribed you have more data download. Go to Knowledgebase, click service manual and then select your vehicle.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Default Service manual

So are you looking yourself at the lists I am looking at. For my 2004 Frontier under service manuals there is no Lubrication and Cooling Service Manual to download. I do not need someone telling me stock answers. I need someone who knows the procedure and will tell me it or give me real information on where to find the information.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

sorry, my apology for interferring on your problem.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 AM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Flushing a cooling system is pretty basic to auto PM. If you don't know how to do it without a manual maybe you shouldn't! Instructions are located under Nissan Frontier Service Manual, General Maintenance, MA-28 (Flushing Cooling System). Refilling is located under Engine Maintenance (FG33E and VG33ER).
Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Thanks. I have flushed many a car, but I since I can't use a back-flush kit, I was trying to see how to get the old coolant out of the heater core and block.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

so from back in the day before they had power flushers, the only way i can think of the completely flush a coolant system is to remove the thermostat, reinstall the housing. Then disconnect the top and bottom hose from the rad. Either fill the block from the top hose and let it come out the bottom hose or fill the block from the bottom hose and let it come out the top. You will need to independently do the heater core

Tags
2004, cooling, flush, frontier, procedure, system