Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
A/F Sensor on bank 2 what is the normal operational value Forums > > A/F Sensor on bank 2 what is the normal operational value A/F Sensor on bank 2 what is the normal operational value
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default A/F Sensor on bank 2 what is the normal operational value

Can anyone provide the normal range of voltage for the A/F sensor on bank 2?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

The range is 0.1v - Lean to 1.0v Rich for all sensors regardless of location. There is no normal range per se but the ECM is always trying to achieve the ideal A/F mixture ratio. That volatge output is around 0.45v. The ECM decides to go lean or rich depending upon the voltage output receive from the a/f sensors. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Thanks!
When comparing the left to the right bank, I have quite a large difference, with wide swings on the bank two sensor.

I swapped the sensors there is no difference in the readings.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with P2A03
The cat is new but I already have found an issue with the flange gasket on the output of the front left cat.
I installed a new gasket and the readings have stabilized but are still different from the right side.
I think the gasket between the cat and the manifold may be at issue as well.
So I'm going to replace that one as well.

Is that gasket a dough nut type or is it one of those metal crush gaskets?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

P2A03 - Bank 2 Sensor 1 range performance. Its likely the sensor is bad. Try switch the sensor. Swap sensor 1 to sensor 2 bank 2. If it is the sensor your code would follow to bank 2, sensor 2. If so,then replace the sensor.

My EM gasket is a Fel-Pro and thicker than the IM gasket which is steel. Also some sort of mettalic in the outside. My flange gasket was round. I did not plan to replace but I bought the head gasket set which includes the flange, injector o-rings, IM, water outlet, t-stat, water pump gaskets. If the leak is in the flange, it is already passed the sensors so I'm not sure it has anything to do with the sensor performance. Yes, it matter if the leak is in IM. Before replacing the IM gasket, test for leaks in that area all the way to the CAT.

Last edited by bennyb53; 05-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Confirmed the O2 Sensor is OK by swapping Bank 1 and 2 and finding no real change in the bank 2 readings.

What is the possibility that clogged or dirty injectors could be the cause.?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you swapped sensors and the code did not follow then sensor is ok. Just to be sure we're in same page, after swapping sensors, you erased the code and run car for 2 drive cycles, yes? And the code came back. I am not sure what "readings" you're referring to.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

I did erase the code but what I was referring to was the voltage readings from the A/F sensor
I was reading the voltages directly from the device (2) with an OBD scan tool.
Bank two is running rich and that side is setting the code.
The light hasn't come on yet but it hasn't been driven that much. Based on the the readings before and after I would not be surprised if the code comes back there must be some reason it is running richer on bank 2

There is one other concern that has come up in all this, and I don't know it it's related or not. After revving the engine there is a motor boat sort of rumbling sound in the exhaust as the engine returns to idle which seem to originate from bank 2

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Problem has not gone away ( P2A03 ) could the downstream cat be the issue?

I replaced the gaskets between the front Cat and the downstream Cat.
The one at the manifold is good tight, not leaking the one at the back of the secondary is tight not leaking. The one between the two seems to be an issue.
I have replaced it three times. The flanges are in good condition, flat, clean, I tried different types of gaskets and they all seem to leak just slightly after a while and the code comes back. I suspect there might be a back pressure issue. The connection here has no cracks but the gasket seems to be under stress.

Can the secondary Cat cause too much back pressure? The front Cat is new.
This is such a simple connection it is driving me crazy as to why it is so troublesome.

When I look at the voltages for the sensors the post cats are almost identical for both banks. The precat A/F are different with bank 2 being higher.
When I change the gasket and reset the ECM the pre Cat A/F readings for both bank are very similar.

Suggestions ?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
The range is 0.1v - Lean to 1.0v Rich for all sensors regardless of location. There is no normal range per se but the ECM is always trying to achieve the ideal A/F mixture ratio. That volatge output is around 0.45v. The ECM decides to go lean or rich depending upon the voltage output receive from the a/f sensors. Hope this helps.
If you check with OBD II scanner it'll be like o2 sensor (0.1-1.0 v) but really it must be about +/-1.5 v (if you check with Consult). See the service manual.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Actually, 0.1-1.0 volt ia operating range for an oxygen sensor; air/fuel sensors are a little different than oxygen sensors and work in different parameters. At a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio, the voltage reading of an air/fuel sensor will be around 1.5 volt and fluctuate around that voltage at maintained engine speed of 2000 RPM when operating at normal operating temperature. A scantool is really needed to test an air/fuel sensor's performance. As far as the P2A03 code, possible cause include a faulty sensor or sensor heater, fuel pressure, fuel injector or intake air leaks.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Actually, 0.1-1.0 volt ia operating range for an oxygen sensor; air/fuel sensors are a little different than oxygen sensors and work in different parameters. At a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio, the voltage reading of an air/fuel sensor will be around 1.5 volt and fluctuate around that voltage at maintained engine speed of 2000 RPM when operating at normal operating temperature. A scantool is really needed to test an air/fuel sensor's performance. As far as the P2A03 code, possible cause include a faulty sensor or sensor heater, fuel pressure, fuel injector or intake air leaks.
OK!!! But my f**ng OBD II scanner shows the fluctuations like for 02 sensors (lowers). Someone told me that voltage must be multiplicated by 5...
Now I have 0.3V in Bank1 and 0.6V in bank2 (2000rpm)...

Tags
a or f, bank, normal, operational, sensor