Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change Forums > > Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change

A long story involving the Wideband A/F Sensor after changing the cat on a 2006 frontier
has boiled down to replacing the current issue Wideband A/F Sensor with the one used on the 2009.

The issue is the 2006 sensor is 5 wires and a 6 pin plug and the 2009 is a 4 pin plug.
The Dealer is no help at all they think they can just plug it in !
Well that wont work. I guess they will figure that one out when they have to do it for a customer.
The one on the left is the 2006 and the one on the right is the 2009

All this is due to a ECM reprogram by the dealer that was supposed to correct a problem of a recurring code for the A/F Sensor after both the cat and the pre and post sensor were replaced on the left side by me not the dealer. The sensors used were Bosch and apparently supposed to be exact OEM replacements.

The Dealer has informed me that I have to now replace both A/F sensors with the one specified as being 226931AA0A which is the same one used on the 2009 model
They wanted $700.00 to do this and for about $200.00 I can do it myself.
Rock auto has agreed to take the original Bosh AF back and credit the cost to new ones which are DENSO 234-9038

Hope someone has been here before or has the information I need to match up the wiring.
I was told this was part of a service bulletin but have not found any info on it other than the reprogramming of the ECM

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change-getimage-php-jpg   Wiring information needed for A/F sensor change-getimage2-jpg  

Last edited by mustang1975; 05-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

I just checked the service bulletins for 06 an 09 trucks here in the forum-nothing about replacing the AF sensors due to ECM reprogramming. Get SB reference from your dealer then you can look for it here in the forum.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

I did the same.
I will see what they will provide it has not been easy.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

OK here it is NTB08-103-B

2007 NISSAN FRONTIER, PATHFINDER, XTERRA; DTC P0031, P0051, P0133, P0153, P2A00, P2A03, P1148, P1168
Any of the following DTCs are stored:
• P0031 / P0051 (A/F Sensor 1 Heater; Bank1 / 2)
• P0133 / P0153 (A/F Sensor 1 Slow Response; Bank 1 / 2)
• P2A00 / P2A03 (A/F Sensor 1 Range/Performance; Bank 1 / 2)
• P1148 / P1168 (Closed Loop Control; Bank 1 / 2)

NTB08-103a

I'm over my limit for today so I cant download it till tomorrow.

Last edited by mustang1975; 05-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1975 View Post
A long story involving the Wideband A/F Sensor after changing the cat on a 2006 frontier
has boiled down to replacing the current issue Wideband A/F Sensor with the one used on the 2009.

The issue is the 2006 sensor is 5 wires and a 6 pin plug and the 2009 is a 4 pin plug.
The Dealer is no help at all they think they can just plug it in !
Well that wont work. I guess they will figure that one out when they have to do it for a customer.
The one on the left is the 2006 and the one on the right is the 2009

All this is due to a ECM reprogram by the dealer that was supposed to correct a problem of a recurring code for the A/F Sensor after both the cat and the pre and post sensor were replaced on the left side by me not the dealer. The sensors used were Bosch and apparently supposed to be exact OEM replacements.

The Dealer has informed me that I have to now replace both A/F sensors with the one specified as being 226931AA0A which is the same one used on the 2009 model
They wanted $700.00 to do this and for about $200.00 I can do it myself.
Rock auto has agreed to take the original Bosh AF back and credit the cost to new ones which are DENSO 234-9038

Hope someone has been here before or has the information I need to match up the wiring.
I was told this was part of a service bulletin but have not found any info on it other than the reprogramming of the ECM

Thanks!
The sensor you need is the one in the picture on the right. The other sensor will not work on your truck. I have done several of these with no problems. Check your front exhaust tubes for leaks. They usually leak at the welds at the connection to the cat. That will cause an a/f sensor code.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Thanks for the advice.

I will check for cracks but I assume the dealer would have looked for them as well when they had it to reprogram the ECM.

How do you get the 4 pin device on the right to work on a vehicle that has the 6 pin socket shown on the left?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Unless I'm wrong the dealer is and Idiot!

MPE 235 Now I'm pissed off! Not at you but at the Dealer....

I have a copy of the TSB and it pertains to a 2007 not 2006.

I just checked the 2007 sensor and it's 4 pin so yes it works plug and play but not on the 2006.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but what the hell is the dealer doing here ?

There is no solution to this problem listed for a 2006 with the parts they told me I should use and they are on their way to me from Rock Auto.

Can you confirm this?
They said they reprogrammed the ECM ... DId they put the wrong firmware in for a 2007 instead of a 2006?

Is that possible and how do I verify what the ECM has flashed in it?

What a freakin mess!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
MPE 235 Now I'm pissed off! Not at you but at the Dealer....

I have a copy of the TSB and it pertains to a 2007 not 2006.

I just checked the 2007 sensor and it's 4 pin so yes it works plug and play but not on the 2006.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but what the hell is the dealer doing here ?

There is no solution to this problem listed for a 2006 with the parts they told me I should use and they are on their way to me from Rock Auto.

Can you confirm this?
They said they reprogrammed the ECM ... DId they put the wrong firmware in for a 2007 instead of a 2006?

Is that possible and how do I verify what the ECM has flashed in it?

What a freakin mess!
They could not have put in the wrong update. The way the Nissan scan tool is designed it will not let you install an update that doesn't apply to the vehicle. You definitely have to use the sensor that has the same connector as the one on the truck. The only way to tell if the ecm was updated would be to use a scan tool that can read the ecm ID. It will tell you what software version it has. Alot of technicians out there don't take the time to properly diagnose the vehicle. They just pull codes and change parts. They probably never looked at anything else.

I may have misread your post about what sensors you had in your truck. The new (updated) sensor from Nissan has a tapered tip and looks like the one in the picture you had to the right. If the Bulletin does not say it applies to a 2006 then it would not apply to your vehicle therefore the updated sensor would not be required.

Last edited by mpe235; 05-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
They could not have put in the wrong update. The way the Nissan scan tool is designed it will not let you install an update that doesn't apply to the vehicle. You definitely have to use the sensor that has the same connector as the one on the truck. The only way to tell if the ecm was updated would be to use a scan tool that can read the ecm ID. It will tell you what software version it has. Alot of technicians out there don't take the time to properly diagnose the vehicle. They just pull codes and change parts. They probably never looked at anything else.
They had the truck for 5 days and this is what they came up with!

Thanks again for your patience and insight!

I was able to get access to the 2007 and 2006 electrical drawings for the A/F sensor and they are in no way compatible. The ECM pins that receive the signals from the sensor are totally different. I have been sent on a wild goose chase!

What I intend to do is move the A/F sensor from the right side to the left and see if the failure follows the sensor.
If it doesn't, I will take the manifold off and look for cracks.

In hind sight I should have kept the old sensor around but I disposed of it.

Thanks Again for your help! I
Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
They had the truck for 5 days and this is what they came up with!

Thanks again for your patience and insight!

I was able to get access to the 2007 and 2006 electrical drawings for the A/F sensor and they are in no way compatible. The ECM pins that receive the signals from the sensor are totally different. I have been sent on a wild goose chase!

What I intend to do is move the A/F sensor from the right side to the left and see if the failure follows the sensor.
If it doesn't, I will take the manifold off and look for cracks.

In hind sight I should have kept the old sensor around but I disposed of it.

Thanks Again for your help! I
Before moving the sensor I would definitely check the flange for the front pipe on the side with the problem. I have seen this several times and almost all the ones I have seen it on have come from other shops that have already changed the sensors. Usually what happens is the weld fails and allows the pipe to slide in and out of the flange. You can usually pull the pipe out quite a bit if that is the problem. It causes an air leak before the rear oxygen sensor and makes the computer think the front sensor is reading incorrectly.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Will do!

Everything looked good to me solid and tight. But I will look again.
That is why I was thinking I would take if off and look it over closely for a cracks.
But if the crack is at the flange I should be able to look for it while on the engine.

Tags
a or f, change, information, needed, sensor, wiring