Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rough idle when warmed up, stopped, & in drive after doing a sea foam flush. Forums > > Rough idle when warmed up, stopped, & in drive after doing a sea foam flush. Rough idle when warmed up, stopped, & in drive after doing a sea foam flush.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 PM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Rough idle when warmed up, stopped, while in any gear. After doing a sea foam flush.

I have an 2002 frontier XE crew cab, 2wd, V6 3.3. I've noticed the rough idle happens while in P, R, N, or D. When driving it, it seems to run fine. It all starts when I come to a stop. when stopped it runs normal for about 45 - 60 seconds then boggs down to about 550 rpm. I recently flushed the crankcase, intake, and fuel system with Sea Foam. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about Sea Foam so I flushed it. After flushing, it started this rough idle. I thought that the flush may have fouled the plugs, so after checking them they ok, but replaced them anyway. I had also replaced all major tune-up parts: cap & rotor, air filter, fuel filter, and changed the oil. The problem is still there. Before I drop more cash in, I decided to research to get a different perspective that I maybe missing. The truck ran great before the flush.

After some online research I thought I should check fuel pressure & it's good, read that maybe the EGR system maybe the cause. I looked under the hood from the description from my book for the EGR & my truck does not have an EGR system, I also realized it also does not have a MAP sensor. Is this common for this make and model? And can anyone help with any ideas to the idle problem.

Update: So I think I may have figured out whats wrong, After asking around for advice & searching the internet. I think the flush may have clogged the catalytic converters. It looks like they will come out easily enough, so I'm gonna pull them out and see how bad they are. As far as I know they are the original cats, & the truck has 120,000 miles on which is really good considering how old it is.
Will update this thread as soon as I can.

I removed the cats and they were clean. I have been checking for codes any time I drive it, and have had P0174 come up, and had the annoying P0328 for knock sensor. P0174 is lean fuel in left bank fuel rail. After checking for codes the next day P0174 was gone and only P0328 was there. Today I checked for codes after taking my daughter across town and back and I got code P0171 which is lean fuel in right bank fuel rail. I have already tested the fuel pump and regulator both checked out. checked for restrictions in the lines and found none. I think my next step will be replacing the regulator because it will be less expensive to replace than the fuel pump. Then hope that is my problem cause the fuel pump lists at $272.00 without the strainer, the strainer is another $20. I will update on sunday when I'm done.

Last edited by zimptl; 03-30-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
2003 Frontier King Cab

Maybe try disconnecting the battery overnight and letting the computer relearn?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Check Fuel pressure regulator

Pull the small hose on top of the regulator. If fuel spills out, replace it. This is my theory on it:

When the regulator misbehaves, your engine starts to rattle, this in turn causes false knocking which of course sets your knock sensor off, in turn putting your s/c into bypass mode, it's a vicious cycle.

I believe lots of knock sensor issues are false readings and are replaced unnecessarily. I have never had it go out in mine. I also believe that because of it's difficult location, underneath the intake, it was purposely designed never to go out.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM
1995 Truck

Probably not what you want to hear but I don't believe in pouring any of those additives in my motor.Oil changes with Mobil 1 every 3000 miles and running a tank of 93 octane gas once a month.I had a 1982 720 pickup with a 4 cylinder and I ran the piss out of it when I sold it for $500 it had 480,000 miles on it.My current 1995 hardbody se v-6 4x4 has 178,000 miles on it.Stay away from any of that crap that promises great things will happen.Good Luck I hope you get the problem fixed.

Tags
drive, flush, foam, idle, rough, sea, stopped, warmed