Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Backup switch shorting to ground Forums > > Backup switch shorting to ground Backup switch shorting to ground
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 AM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Question Backup switch shorting to ground

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier manual transmission. I noticed the reverse lights weren't working. I checked all of the fuses and bulbs with no problem. Thanks to this forum I checked the backup switch and sure enough it wasn't providing a connection when in reverse.

I went to AutoZone and picked up a replacement backup switch and installed it. When I tried to start the truck with the shifter in reverse I got nothin' -- just the sound of the fuel pump. I checked the fuses and the "meter" fuse was blown. I replaced it and the truck started fine when not in reverse, but as soon as I would put it in reverse the fuse would pop. I downloaded the electrical diagrams from this forum (excellent, BTW!) and started hunting for the short. I ended up locating it in the backup switch itself! Whenever the shifter is in reverse there is connectivity from the internal pin to the terminals -- the internal pin touches some component in the transmission which is grounded. I took out the part and returned it to AutoZone. They were out of stock so I had another one sent in from another store. When I went to pick it up this morning I brought my DMM with me to test it. It has the same behavior - there is connectivity from the internal pin when depressed to the terminals.

Are these just bad parts from AutoZone? I don't see how they can operate properly with the observed behavior.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

I went to the Nissan dealership and tested the part with my DMM. It has no connection from the internal pin to the terminals, as it should be. I will be installing it tonight.

I guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for. I have liked using AutoZone in the past, but will be cautious going forward.

Tags
backup, ground, shorting, switch