Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0500 Speed Sensor- How do I find which one....? Forums > > P0500 Speed Sensor- How do I find which one....? P0500 Speed Sensor- How do I find which one....?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 AM
MOTOFIEND

Default P0500 Speed Sensor- How do I find which one....?

I have a 2004 Frontier Crew Cab (3.3) and my "Service Engine" light is on. A smog place did a dummy test on it and came back with a Knock Sensor being bad and a P0500 Speed Sensor being bad. Oreilly told me that there are 3 speed sensors for all for wheels (2 for the rear wheels and 1 for each front wheel). So my question is "How do I find these things, find which one is bad (or more than 1), and how do I find out 'what' is bad with it/them, and how do I replace it/them?" Is there a video anywhere showing this, or a manual..., etc.?
Please let me know if anyone knows. Tunex told me it would cost about $1100 to replace both and I don't have the money (I'm a construction worker that has been out of work on and off since late 08) and my truck is over 2 months past due on registration- and I have to get these fixed before I can get it registered. So..... "anyone?" Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

The speed sensor goes into the transmission tail-housing and feeds data to the ECM. OReilly is looking at the ABS speed sensors. Its 50-64 bucks online at Rock auto parts.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
MOTOFIEND

Default Thanks JLG, but...

Thanks JLG, but I need to find how I can check and see "which" of the speed sensors are bad, then see what it'll cost to replace it, etc.. Now I'm getting a "P0328 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Ban" -- it cuts off there, but that is what I'm getting back on a dummy test from a smog shop. So is there a 'poor mans' way to check this, or do I need to pay for a dyno test and see what they say? Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

P0500 is the code put out by the speed sensor I stated to you. You can download the EC section of the Nissan shop manual from this forum link. The troubleshooting is on pages 987 and 990 of the manual. fix the speed sensor first and the Knock sensor fault may go away.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
MOTOFIEND

Thanks JLG, but I typo'ed in my last post (I've been over working lately), but your answer went ahead of my last question. So, fixing the speed sensor will fix the knock sensor thing? How is that, they aren't related? (I just want to know all I can about this truck now that I'm starting to have to get it fixed) The link you sent didn't go through, can you send it again? Thanks again.

Tags
find, p0500, sensor, speed