Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Cranks, Won't start Forums > > Cranks, Won't start Cranks, Won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Lowefront2209

Question Cranks, Won't start

To Start:
2005 Frontier
King Cab Nismo
Driving on the highway the other day when my truck starts decides its done driving. The truck stalls out, and won't restart. I get the truck towed back to my house where I am assuming a lot of things. First thing that crosses my mind is frozen line, bad fuel since the engine cranks but won't kick over. against my better judgement, I bring the truck to my local mechanic (having problems with the Nissan Service in the past). The mechanic scratches his head. I have gotten code p0340, then replaced the camshaft position sensor. Battery is good. Plugs look within limits. Should I spray some starting fluid to try and get this thing turned over? The reason I am Asking is i Know my truck and it can be very temperamental. I don't want to piss it off any more!

Last edited by Lowefront2209; 02-08-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: year make and model
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Should I spray some starting fluid to try and get this thing turned over?
Yes, you can do that. You can also check if there is fuel pressure, you may have a bad fuel pump.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Lowefront2209

Have pressure, Starting fluid didn't work. I am now going to change the plugs. Might as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default ecu recall

have you received the recall notice for the ecu and have you had it done yet?

I had mine done in Dec 2010 and from what you are describing, that may be the problem
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

ipdm module.... its the tray in the engine compartment that has the fuses and relays... you can do a temp switch with the fog light relay.... with the bad relay...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Lowefront2209

Thanks for the input. I switched the relays. No dice. now i am really scratching my head. I don't think i have any option than bringing it to the stealership. I love the fact that the first thing they will ask is if i want to trade it in.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashane View Post
First thing to look at is the distributor cap and rotor. Even if both seem OK it would be worth taking a fine grit emery paper to all the distributor cap contacts as well as the rotor. Shining a light bulb inside the distributor cap in a dark room can sometimes locate a hairline crack in the cap. If nothing happens you may want to send it to the nearest california auto repair
The 2005 does not have a cap and rotor.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
1985 Truck
2005 Frontier

IPDM are common problems fuel pump relay cannot be removed so check pressure at fuel fuel rail ,if no pressure check for power and ground at fuel tank,if no power chances are bad IPDM
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Lowefront2209

Found out the reason that my truck would not start. The timing had slipped, destroying the camshaft. Engine replacement is in my future.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Lowefront2209

Does any one know of any engine swap possibilities? I still owe a couple of bucks on this thing and I'm a little scared to put the same engine back in. This truck has been down more than I have ever driven it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default engine swap

I looked into this last year when I was having all kinds of problems. Based on what I was able to find out, the only USA engine that is similar is the 3.5 l. and it has the same problems. Check with the Nissan Techs.

I was fortunate to find a used 4.0 L with 12K miles that was pulled from a rolled 05 NISMO for $1200. I plan to keep this until needed. I found several of these engines are out there so don't lose faith and keep looking.

Your last comment about a slipped timing chain had me questioning the quality of the dealer. When I had mine apart, I coiuld not see the chain slipping, short of a complete catastrophic failure.

I suggest that you try to keep it stock if possible. It will be easier to sell.

take care

rkmengineering
Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 AM
2007 Frontier King Cab

I have a 07 nissan frontier nismo and my wife was driving it all the lights lit up and went off so she kept driving and when she stopped and turn it off it wouldn't start back I put a battery in it checked all fuses I scanned it no codes I was puzzled but after 3 days of trying everything I could think of the next morning I was gonna give it another try got my keys and it fired right up my wife's key got deactivated so all that crap and all it was is a key maybe this will help someone else thanx
Old 12-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo sam View Post
I have a 07 nissan frontier nismo and my wife was driving it all the lights lit up and went off so she kept driving and when she stopped and turn it off it wouldn't start back I put a battery in it checked all fuses I scanned it no codes I was puzzled but after 3 days of trying everything I could think of the next morning I was gonna give it another try got my keys and it fired right up my wife's key got deactivated so all that crap and all it was is a key maybe this will help someone else thanx
Sam,

How did your Wife's Key get deactivated.

Hope the Battery needed to be replaced. I thought my battery needed to be replaced, so I ordered a New one from PepBoy's Online. I put a 1.5 Amp Schumacher Smart Charger on the old battery. It took a long time to recharge it,, but it rejuvinated the old battery and it started holding a Full charge! So I could have gotten more use out of the old battery. Deal was done, so Out with the Old and in with the New.

It's best to find out 1st what the problem is before purchaseing New Part's, but I think most all of us, at one time or other, buy new part's before we know for sure what the problem really is.

By the way the Schumacher sp1297 3amp lead acid/lithium ion smart charger is the best one I've ever gotten. It will display what the Charge Status % of the Battery is before Chargeing, Display % of charge as it is chargeing the battery, display full charge/maintainer status, and stop chargeing when the battery is fully charged. I can use it on my 12v Small batterie's, as well as regular size Truck and Tractor Batterie's.
Amazon had the best price when I got mine.

Regards,
Old 03-24-2021, 02:04 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

FIRST thing ???

P f f t t t . On an '05 , 1st thing to check is DTC 09999 - Stale Air Freshener .

2nd thing is Cap'n Rotor .

Then again , maybe that ain't the 2nd thing to check ...

Quote:
First thing to look at is the distributor cap and rotor. Even if both seem OK it would be worth taking a fine grit emery paper to all the distributor cap contacts as well as the rotor. Shining a light bulb inside the distributor cap in a dark room can sometimes locate a hairline crack in the cap. If nothing happens you may want to send it to the nearest california auto repair
Old 09-02-2021, 10:05 PM
2008 Cube
2006 Frontier

Your steps are correct, although, you can save a step by not removing the chrome. If you scuff all the chrome good enough, you won't have any adhesion problems. You also don't have to wet sand, Oferta silnikowa: PB silniki benzynowe, ON silniki diesla.Automotive Lighting Accessories Online Store - AUTOWIKI. W nawiasie kod silnika, czyli np. PB 2.0 (LF) oznacza silnik benzynowy o pojemności 2.0 i kodzie fabrycznym LF.,you can dry sand it just fine. You don't have to sand in between coats unless there are defects or something gets in the paint.

Tags
cranks, start