Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Jmatic vs. Smatic Forums > > Jmatic vs. Smatic Jmatic vs. Smatic
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 AM
southernoutcast

Default Jmatic vs. Smatic

Quick question, truck has Jmatic fluid in the transmission. I got new Smatic because I was told by ( dealer ) that the Smatic replaces the Jmatic ( no longer stocked ) So are the same? The reason I ask is that I checked my transmission fluid level and noticed its a GOLDEN HONEY COLOR.

The new Smatic I picked up today is RED. So can this stuff be mixed? Since the parts person at the dealer said it was inner changeable. I didn't look at the fluid till I got home and noticed the difference. This is a drain and refill like they recommend, except the ( FLUSH ) machine they try and make you use at the dealer.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Gene
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 AM
2015 Rogue

Both fluids are the same color.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
southernoutcast

can anyone tell me if these can be mixed? I was told by local mechanic yes, but, I'm still worried.

My dipstick cap says ( J MATIC ), manual says ( J MATIC ) but what is in my transmission is not RED, its gold/orange color.

So if you drain the pan and refil with superceded S matic which is RED will it hurt anything when it mixes?

This is bugging me badly..

Thanks
Gene
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

your golden honey color means CHANGE fluid NOW !!!!! without knowing you or the miles you have, i am willing to bet you have around 94,000 miles.

so now you just did a simple drain and fill, the only problem is the honey color fluid is 8 quarts v. your 4 or 5 that you drained. so the 8 quarts is going to over power the new fluid and dilute it way too much to keep your tranny going for a long time.

you need to do the poor mans flush that is without the flush machine ... dont do a machine flush because it can damage the tranny, go online and buy the s matic fluid for around 8.99 and buy 12 quarts.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
So if you drain the pan and refil with superceded S matic which is RED will it hurt anything when it mixes?
To be honest I have never tried to mix it, so I don't what would be the consequences mixing the fluids. I the service manual and the factory engineers recommend not to mix the fluids, I suggest not to do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2015 Versa Note

Default matic s fluid color

I just purchased a new versa with 600 miles on the odometer and checked the 4 speed automatic fluid level. The oil color was so pale a shade of tan that it was hard to see on the dipstick but was up to full. The manual says to use the matic s fluid in this unit and I dont have any from the dealer to check the over the parts counter color except what is in the transmission.
My understanding is that the red color is used to indicate a transmission leak if red oil is forund on the garage floor. It also has the property of changing to a brown color if the tranny is overheated, suggesting immediate attention.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
2015 Rogue

The matic s and j fluids are both red. Cvt fluid is green. It looks clear on the dipstick.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2015 Versa Note

Default Matic Fluid Color

Thanks mpe235 for the matic fluid color information. I will ask the Service Manager why the fluid in my transmission is not red, as expected, at my first oil change. Could it be as a marker that the fluid was installed at the factory as opposed to the dealer?

Tags
jmatic, smatic