Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Whine.  Timing Chain Tensioner? Idler Pulley? Water Pump? Forums > > Engine Whine.  Timing Chain Tensioner? Idler Pulley? Water Pump? Engine Whine. Timing Chain Tensioner? Idler Pulley? Water Pump?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Frontier

Default Engine Whine. Timing Chain Tensioner? Idler Pulley? Water Pump?

I have an 07 Nissan Frontier, V6 (6sp manual trans), with 78k miles. Just started noticing a slight whine that seems to be most noticeable above 2k rpm when I'm in between shifts (seems to vary in pitch with engine speed). Not so noticeable while driving at a steady speed (so far anyhow). The whine also seems to subside somewhat when the engine warms up.

From everything I've read online and in this forum the most obvious culprit seems to be the timing chain tensioners.

Is there any troubleshooting I can do to make sure it isn't something like an idler pulley, water pump, alternator bearing, etc.? Should I try to run the engine briefly with the serpentine belt removed to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default engine whine

just remove the serpintine belt and see if the noise is still there. If it is either tensioners (most likey) or water pump, the cover still has to come off.

good luck
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmengineering View Post
just remove the serpintine belt and see if the noise is still there. If it is either tensioners (most likey) or water pump, the cover still has to come off.

good luck
Thanks for the reply!

>>>> If it is either tensioners (most likey) or water pump, the cover still has to come off. <<<<

Are you referring to the large, front cover(s) that cover all the cam chains and tensioner assemblies? This has to come off to replace the water pump, too?

BTW, rkmengineering, I saw your recent post on replacing the timing chain tensioners--wow, outstanding post--lotsa great info and pictures!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default engine whine

yes, the one large cover that is the front of the engine and has no gaskets. the water pump is driven off of the timing chain. The fan off of the belt is an idler pulley and is not the water pump.

If you do not have the manual for your truck, I recommend that you get a CD version. I have seen it on EBay for around $10.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmengineering View Post
yes, the one large cover that is the front of the engine and has no gaskets. the water pump is driven off of the timing chain. The fan off of the belt is an idler pulley and is not the water pump.

If you do not have the manual for your truck, I recommend that you get a CD version. I have seen it on EBay for around $10.
Since the water pump is driven off the timing chain, I would assume it would be ok to drive without the serpentine belt for a short distance (mile or two)? Just want to make sure the whine I'm hearing is not a pulley, water pump, etc. before I replace the secondary cam chains and tensioners.

Thanks for the eBay suggestion. I already ordered one on eBay a few months ago
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

In my situation, the whine was so loud that as soon as I removed the belt, started it, and reved it up, I knew it was inside the engine. I did not have to drive it. After you remove the belt, you could spin the various pullies by hand to see if anything is noisey or loose.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Question, the squeal on my 2006 Frontier does not start until the engine is warmed up, and
does not sound like the secondary timing chain. Noise is constant, at all RPMs, almost
sounds like a pump, but is coming from the lower portion of the engine. Noise is most pronounced on drivers side of truck.
I have replaced auto tensioner and belt with OEM, noise still occurs. I took off belt, and squeal is still there.
It is not power steering pump either.
Dealer says secondary timing chain, but I don't believe that, there is not the whining/whirring noise as I have seen on you tube videos.
Could it be the water pump? What does the primary tensioner sound like when it goes bad?

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by n8kddba; 02-06-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

the timing chain noise is that of a whine that sounds like gear driven cams or the impellers of a supercharger and it does change with engine rpm. Could it be from the electric cooling fan that is comming on when the engine heats up?

keep us posted

rkmengineering
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Default 2006 Engine Whine? Squeal

Sorry for lag in reply. The noise occurs even with belt off.
Attached is a video, mainly sound of the noise. Only occurs after the engine is warmed up. I put camera above engine and then moved it to the ground so I could rev it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: wmv 20130213-021702.WMV (1.73 MB, 54 views)
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default noise pitch changes with rpm?

Just to clarify, did you say that the pitch does not change with an increase in rpm? I could not tell by your audio recording.

rkmengineering
Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

It actually seems to go away when rpm's are above 2500-3000.
The dealer mechanic said that is because oil gets between chain
and tensioner.

Taking it in tomorrow for service. The odd thing to me is that it sounds the same when listening from above the engine, left and right sides
but is more pronounced below engine and on driver's side.

And not occurring until it is warmed up would lead me to believe it is bearing related and not tensioner guide related, does not sound like the videos for that sound.

Thanks for your reply

Rob
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default try this first

try using a mechanic's stethoscope to determine where the noise is actually coming form.

Here is an example of an inexpensive one

Mechanic's Stethoscope

keep us posted
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Thanks, I will be getting one of those after this repair, hoping it goes well, will post what the dealer says after they do the tear down to see what the issue really is.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

FYI, the front cover does not have to be removed to replace the water pump; the black access plates on the front cover are there for this such purpose.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Thanks!

Got the work done, replace secondary chain/tensioners and primary chain/tensioners, water pump, and all related items
to those repairs(oil,oil filter thermostat, etc)

I am not convinced it was the secondaries, the sound was not that as I heard
in other posts, but I can say that the noise is gone, and so far running great.

Total Bill was $1300.00, and I have a case open with Nissan, should be in touch with me this morning

I have all of the parts that were removed and replaced, haven't had a chance to look at them yet, to see how much wear was on the tensioners.

Can the secondaries be replace through the two black access plates on the front also?

Now to work on the loud fan..

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by n8kddba; 02-19-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: add in water pump details

Tags
chain, engine, idler, pulley, pump, tensioner, timing, water, whine