Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair Forums > > FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

[QUOTE=nellison, Sorry sort of new at this forum thing! I rechecked all the connections and everything with the exception of the aux fan is connected.
The timing marks on everything lined back up after rotating manually. Crankshaft didn't line up with cam marks, seems like it's 180 out of position, but did not notice it until I put the flywheel back on it after everything was buttoned up. Question is how do I rotate this back in line with the timing marks without doing damage? Not sure if these pics will show or not. [/QUOTE]

Nellison,

When you made your mark's at TDC, Are You Sure that you were at TDC on #1 Cylinder on the Compression Stroke, and NOT at TDC on The Exhaust Stroke? It's pretty easy to make this mistake.

Read post # 246

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 02-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

i only used the marks on everything and did not pull a plug so i would assume i was TDC. All 3 marks were lined up perfectly and nothing moved while i was removing or putting back. Just saw that i might have the Cam Shaft Sprockets (EXH) on the wrong sides. Chilton did not show them being marked circles/ovals depending on what side they went to. Will start taking apart tonight..
Old 02-12-2019, 04:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellison View Post
i only used the marks on everything and did not pull a plug so i would assume i was TDC. All 3 marks were lined up perfectly and nothing moved while i was removing or putting back. Just saw that i might have the Cam Shaft Sprockets (EXH) on the wrong sides. Chilton did not show them being marked circles/ovals depending on what side they went to. Will start taking apart tonight..
Nellison,

I would advise to use the Nissan Factory Service Manual. It is a Free Download, just google search Nissan Frontier Factory Service Manual, and you'll find a site that has it. Or you can go to Reliable-Store.com and pay 9 $'s that will get you all the Section's in PDF file's that you can make a folder on your desktop and then download the pdf file's to that folder. Then you can make your own hardcopy by burning that folder to a CD, that will give you a permanent copy of the Nissan Factory Service Manual. That's what I did for my 2013 V6 Frontier.

Good Luck,
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

Thank you! will download the files today - weather is awful today so hopefully can start again on this tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Thank you! will download the files today - weather is awful today so hopefully can start again on this tomorrow.
Nellison,

Hope the download went good for the Nissan Factory Manual. I alway's like to have more than one so I can validate each other and also sometime's one explain's something a little better than the other.

Also I wanted to bring this to your attention that these engine's are interference, meaning that if the engine is out of adjustment that the Valve's can contact the Pistion's. When everything is in proper adjustment then the Valve's and Piston's will clear each other. You probably allready know that but just in case you didn't I wanted to bring that to your attention. That's what the Fellow in post #246 was talking about when he turned the Crank 30 Degree's, but I reread and he explained it pretty good.

Good Luck
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

I honestly think that i might be off 1 or maybe 2 teeth. I have it mostly broken back down, should have it apart Thursday. If i take the chain off and move the cams into position then can I move the crank into position to put it back in time?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There's also a Nissan TSB regarding the replacement of the timing chains due to the "whine." It has pictures and is a pretty good read when doing this repair. You can find it in the "knowledge base" section of this website under "service bulletins."
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

was told by a Nissan mechanic that I could turn everything and get the cams to TDC mark, then remove the chain and move the crank to TDC mark re-install the chain and should be good from there. As long as I am not moving it more than 90 degrees, which there is no way I was off that much, the bottom chain is difficult to see the TDC mark on the oil pump housing. So I think I am 1 tooth off one way or the other on the chain/crank shaft. Does this sound correct to anybody - as far as re-timing?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
was told by a Nissan mechanic that I could turn everything and get the cams to TDC mark, then remove the chain and move the crank to TDC mark re-install the chain and should be good from there. As long as I am not moving it more than 90 degrees, which there is no way I was off that much, the bottom chain is difficult to see the TDC mark on the oil pump housing. So I think I am 1 tooth off one way or the other on the chain/crank shaft. Does this sound correct to anybody - as far as re-timing?
Nellison,

If you remove the sparkplug's it'll be a lot easier to turn the crank.

Just in case you are not useing a shop mirror, it'll be a lot easier to see with one and also a good shop light or other real good light to shine on the mirror to get a good view of the timeing mark's.

In post 246 the poster turned the crank 30 degree's to keep the piston's and valve's from contacting.

I haven't done this repair so I can only offer helpful tip's, I'm pretty sure that SMJ has done this and can offer good guidance on this.

Good Luck,
Old 02-14-2019, 05:49 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

Torn down and found out I am 3 teeth off from TDC on the Crank, waiting on the water pump to come in today and will remove the chain, rotate the crank counter-clockwise the 3 teeth and re-install everything. thanks for all the advise.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Torn down and found out I am 3 teeth off from TDC on the Crank, waiting on the water pump to come in today and will remove the chain, rotate the crank counter-clockwise the 3 teeth and re-install everything. thanks for all the advise.
Nellison,

Sounds good and you really have my respect for undertakeing this Repair. Just to get to the point of replaceing the part's is a major undertakeing and then to replace everything and get it all back together correctly is another big undertakeing. The closest that I have came to this was replaceing the timeing belt on a B2200 Mazda Truck and assisting Replaceing a HeadGasket on my Tractor that wasn't really successful, and glad that I was assisting rather than doing it by myself.

Please keep us posted on how it is going, cause we all want you to have a successful repair. If you run into a problem, I would try and contact SMJ as he used to be a Master Mechanic with Nissan.

While you are waiting on part's here's a video you might like to watch about Castrol's Magnatec Full Synthetic Oil. I don't know if it is Truthful,, but it convinced me to start useing Magnatec.

YouTube

Regards,
Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

the job is finally complete, about 20+ hours! Truck sounds so much better since the tensioners were completely gone. A lot of patience if you're doing this by yourself and a lot of time. fortunately, this is not my everyday truck so it could sit a few days in between.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
the job is finally complete, about 20+ hours! Truck sounds so much better since the tensioners were completely gone. A lot of patience if you're doing this by yourself and a lot of time. fortunately, this is not my everyday truck so it could sit a few days in between.
Nellison,

That's Great!!! I'm Really Glad for YOU. I don't know If I could do it and not get stumped on a bunch of SOMETHINGS.

I know YOU are Really Glad that it is over as well,, and that YOU were able to get it done correctly.

You Should Reward Yourself with something. One of The Favorite thing's that I Rewarded Myself with is a DeWalt Charger Radio(Battery or AC Electric). I got the DeWalt DC012(18 V), got it 2 or 3 year's ago that stay's out in the Garage. The Reception and Sound is so Good, I'm thinking of getting the Dewalt DCR015 (20V) for inside the house!!! They both have a Smart Charger and I can leave the battery when fully charged in the radio for when the Power goe's off, or I need a fully charged battery for one of Dewalt Driver's that I have. Ebay and Amazon offer the Dewalt Product's at a much lower price Brand New, than the Walk in Store's do. Another thing that I rewarded myself with is the 20gal Part's Washer from Harbor Freight. Got that thing about 12 year's ago, filled it with Diesel Fuel and it's been one of my most used Tools in the Garage. When it's time to work in the Garage the First thing that get's turned on is the Light's, then Radio, Air Compressor, Parts Washer in that order.

Thanks for keeping us in the Loop,
Regards,
Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 PM
2007 Pathfinder

On a California model 2007 Nissan Pathfinder 2WD 4.0 V6 the fsm is very confusing and EM-64 water pump cover mark was far off. TDC for my truck was the crank pulley mark lined to the mark on the fan housing pulley assembly. Verified by checking compression blowing out of spark plug hole and the position of the cams and pistons. Be very careful because the water pump marking is far down the ignition stroke on this truck and probably others. Shame the Nissan manual wasn't clearer on such an important job. I would verify cam and piston positions before taking off any chains. Has anyone else come across this discrepancy from what it says in the fsm and actual tdc position?

Last edited by ivanh; 01-14-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:20 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Hi,
I have an 05 Pathfinder at 160k miles and I've been living with the whine for.... years. I'm going to jump down the rabbits hole.

Question: I'm trying to settle a mental argument.
Has anyone tried RockAuto OEM replacement engine parts? Specifically, Chains, Tensioners, Sprockets? There are two manufacturers: Melling and Cloyes.

Or, is the attitude, since it took 2 days to get inside, just go with Nissan.

Thanks,

Ken

Tags
chain, fyi or diy, repair, tensioner, timing, vq40, whine