Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair Forums > > FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-25-2021, 03:12 PM
2007 Xterra
2007 Xterra

I got all my parts from RockAuto wtih exception of a few seals from Nissan. I think all the tensioners were Melling and I used Cloyes chains. Quality parts. That was 30K miles ago and all is good.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:15 PM
2005 Pathfinder

OK, thanks for the feedback.

FYI, I have 1 RockAuto Fail with the APWI NI8364 (Standard Replacement Front CV Axle). At 20k miles, the rubber boot cover cracked all around. The shore durometer material value was too high (too stiff) so it cracked in low temp. The other side is 50k miles and still good, soft. I'm dropping the axle this week to replace the boot.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:34 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I've followed this thread and am now at:
Removed the crank bolt with a 4ft zombie cheat bar with lots of heat on the bolt. An uneventful 'Dink' and it's free. I weigh 130# and it all went well.
Timing cover TDC F'd with my head a long time. got over it, re-read the thread 5 times. rotated until the golden chain finally aligned with crank notch. visually checked #1 piston up top.
There are no copper links so I just colored the matching links with the upper sprocket notches.
Ring gear locked. (Freedom racing!!!)
Camshaft bolts removed.

One deviation I went down was to replace the entire secondary tensioner. So I removed the Camshaft bracket 1.

There is a difference in that the original has a plastic, very flimsy oil strainer (maybe 3mm in dia.) and the new one does not...

My question: I can't seem to locate the bolt torque for the bolts attaching the Camshaft bracket to the block. The bolt heads are within the timing chain housing area...

My guess is that they are all 12.7NM or 9 ft-lb since they came off so easy.

Last edited by racerken; 06-06-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Tags
chain, fyi or diy, repair, tensioner, timing, vq40, whine