Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair Forums > > FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Just a couple since I think everything that can be seen has been featured. Here is what the worn out tensioner shoes look like on a 210,000 mile engine. Also two photos of the alternative tools I used to do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-barclamp-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-wornoutshoe1-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-secondarypin-jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The torque specs are listed on the engine "exploded view" diagram. IIRC, the cam bolt spec was 62 ft/lbs.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder LE 4WD

Default Not Whining, Clanking

Hey Guys,
I'm About to attemp this repair also.. Loud clanking noise started 2 weeks after my warranty Expired. Nissan will do nothing about it. 05 Pathfinder LE with 83k miles. Local Mechanic quoted me $1,700 the dealer $1,900 and one guy refused to give it a try. Wondering about how much the parts will be, definitely plan on taking care of the water pump while in there.. Local Mechanic said about $700.. Can anyone confirm this?
Also if anyone still has the tensioner shoe tool and flywheel lock I am an interested buyer in the next couple of weeks.. Been a long time since I've done any mechanicin' and never anything at this level so any support I can get from you guys would be greatly appreciated..
After checking into this issue in forums with my 05, I read some disturbing news about the issue so many folks are having with their transmission coolers failing and destroying their transmissions.. if any of you have any info on previenting this disaster please do share or point me in a direction... A $5k transmission replacement is unfathomable to my chekbook at this point.

Thanks ahead of time,
SR
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Did anyone have any trouble re-installing the power steering pump? It has that weird nut on the back of that long bolt. How can you access that when you go to re-install it?
Attached Thumbnails
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-ps-bracket-jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default tensioner repair

salty roads: is it a clank or a high pitched whine? The tensioner issue is typically a loud whine.

Did you remove the serpentine belt to see if the noise goes away? If not, try that first.

After I found out about the radiator problem, I replaced the radiator with a high quality aftermarket for under $200.00. A lot cheaper than a $4k transmission and radiator.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default Power steering bracket

27E_20: Are you refering to attaching the bracket to the engine block, or attaching the self supporting nut on to the bolt after the power steering pump has been installed? In either case, I did not have any problem reattaching the units through the right side fender area after removing the fender protector. I did need a universal socket and long extension.
Let us know how it goes.

thanks for the input

rkmengineering
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder LE 4WD

It's definitely a clank or more like a "clack" that increases with rpm. Had the serp belt, the tensioners and a screeching pulley replaced back in March along with a catalytic converter that had hole shot through it(, so I was told)..oil cooler O rings. Sounds coming from the right side of the engine, like the Chain real slack slapping against the internal tensioner, tension guide or timing chain cover. The Dealership and a reputable local shop both coined the same issue. Bad Tensioners.. It starts off loud and then quiets down a bit but Sounds like I'm blasting a really loud toy machine gun coming down the road. She's sitting parked until I can get this done or have this done.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default tensioner whine

Although you had a shop and dealer listen to it, it does not hurt to reconfirm the problem. If possible, with the engine cold from not running over night, remove the belt and start it up to see if the noise is still there. Then you should know if it is internal (tensioners or other) to the engine. There was a post on this thread where an alternator was making a clunking sound.
It may save you some $$$$$.

please keep us posted

rkmengineering
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I'll certainly try it.. Would be like hittin' 4 out 5 on the lotto should that reveal a simpler problem to quelch. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Default TDC

Is this close to what TDC should look like before I pull the crank pulley?
Attached Thumbnails
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-tdc-1-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-tdc-2-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-tdc-3-jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default TDC

That looks correct. The timing mark on the pulley sould line up with the mark on the fan pulley extension tab that you already removed. The service manual illustration is confusing on the index mark location.
Great photos,

rkmengineering
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Default Flywheel Tool

First of all, let me say thanks to rkmengineering, jlg2002, and 06PathfinderSE for all of the help- couldnt have pulled it off without the advice. I got it all back together today. Total time- a good, solid two days with a buddy helping me. No leaks, but I did get a P0507 code, which I quickly cleared and continued celebrating.

This is for the people like me who were curious how the flywheel tool is oriented in the inspection opening (pics):
Inspection Cover, Cover removed, Tool inserted.

Oh, and by the way, do not use your tailgate as a platform to clean the engine cover- the last pic is what you will get.
No, it will not come off.
Attached Thumbnails
FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-inspection-cover-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-cover-removed-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-tool-inserted-jpg   FYI/DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Whine VQ40 repair-tailgate-jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default great job

glad everything worked out great and thanks for the photos of the flywheel lock.
try spraying the tailgate plastic with armorall and let it soak overnight, Had the same thing happen when gas was spilled on the bumper covers and that seemed to bring back the color for a while.

Please comment on your personal degree of ease or difficultly on this project so that others can have a better understanding on whether or not they should attempt this.

take care

rkmengineering
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmengineering View Post
Please comment on your personal degree of ease or difficultly on this project so that others can have a better understanding on whether or not they should attempt this.
Like others have said before, this is an extremely labor-intensive task. I took off two days from work to do it- a Thurs. and Fri., giving me the weekend as a buffer zone in case "S" hit the fan. I have worked of vehicles before, but never done any engine work, so I would absolutely recommend having someone who has been through a process like this helping out, which I did. When that cover comes off, you really have to be paying attention to what you are doing. One of the camshafts actually moved when we were re-installing the secondary chains/gears. Fortunately we match marked everything, and I had the rocker cover removed which helped in ensuring TDC.

It can be done, just BE CAREFUL, follow the FSM, and the advice of others here on this forum. Make sure you have all of the proper tools, also. Get a buddy to help you- if for nothing else, he will come in handy when you are re-installing the power steering pump. I got a list of "recommended" parts from Club Frontier, but there are a lot of parts on there that you dont need. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars because I got almost Everything on the list.

Also, what helped me was match marking all of the hoses and wiring harnesses, making labeled ziplock bags for the bolts, and taking lots of pictures. Before you remove a component- take a picture, remove component, take a picture, repeat.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

To the poster that asked about cost to do this job. It cost me a little over $100 to buy all the parts necessary to do the timing chain job. I suggest you download the TSB (NTB09-128) on this subject as it has all the Nissan parts required. I also buy all my Nissan parts from nissanpartsdeparment.com. It is Nissan's direct link to their dealer's parts departments and I'm told that Nissan subsidizes the dealers that participate. I save roughly 20-35 %, depending on the part, off of the MSRP. As an example I just bought a $469 rear bumper for $357.

Tags
chain, fyi or diy, repair, tensioner, timing, vq40, whine