Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
most effiecent speed? Forums > > most effiecent speed? most effiecent speed?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 AM

2001 frontier

Default most effiecent speed?

i have a 2001 nissan front. v4. 2.1 i think it has 4 gears and the O/D button.

what is the most effeicent speed to go at? ie the best speed the gear will give vs use of gas?

I heard that 55 was the standard and after that gas was lost more quickly.

also what if i am carrying cargo?

im planning a trip to CA.

e
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

To resolve this try running a tank of gas while driving 55 mph and see what your mileage is and then another tank while driving say 65 mph. My money is on the 55 to 60 mph range. Nissan trucks have never been great at gas mileage and driving habits play a huge part in just what you will get.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2015 Versa Note

Default Complex Issue

There are so many factors that impact the most effivcient speed that I think the best approach is to run your oun test. Tires have different rolling resistance depending on brand and inflation pressure, one of the many factors. Gasoline energy content varies by season and manufacturer also.
I developed this infromation for my 2006 Taurus by running at one speed for 60 miles alonmg a flat section of the interstate at 55, 60, and 65. The T has an on board MPG readout simplyfing data accumulation. In general each speed was repeated several times.
The T gets 34 MPG at 55, 30 at 60, amnd 26 at 65. As a qualifer the MPG meter is approximately correct.
You could do this at the beginning of your trip and then select the best speed based on your needs. A generalization is that the larger the engine the higher the most efficient speed to run at but the lower overall MPG. I once owned a Ford Custom 427 tunnel port muscle car that delivered ~7 MPG on average! I never ran an economy test, at that time in my life displacement ment everything.

Trilobe